Differentiate Velocity and pythagaros problem.

In summary, the shadow of the ball falls at a steady speed, which is related to the height of the ball by the trigonometric function sin(-1)(y/r).
christian0710

Homework Statement

A ball is dropped from a height of 100 ft, at which time its shadow is 500 ft from the ball. How fast is the shadow moving when the ball hits the ground? The ball falls with velocity 32 ft/sec, and the shadow is cast by the sun.If i draw this in a cartesian cordinate cordiante system: I place the height 100ft up the y-axis, the shadow is some place on the x axis, and the hypotenus or line connecting y and x is 500ft.

Homework Equations

[/B]
How do i find the speed at which the shadow is moving when the ball hits the ground?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I do know a couple of things:

The distances y and x are related by phytagaros x^2 +y^2 =500^2 If i isolate y at time t=0 i get
y=sqrt(500^2-100^2)The speed of the ball must be the rate of change of distance x with respect to time t
dx/dt =32 ft/s

The speed of the shadow must be the rate of change of distance y with respect to time t
dy/dt = unknown

dy/dt must depend on dx/dt,

dy/dt=dy/dx*dx/dt

But here is my problem: When x=0 (when the ball hit's the ground)
Then I have no idea what to differentiate? Also I can't differentiate dy7dt=d(sqrt(500^2-100^2))/dt

A hint would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a related rates problem hidden in here.

christian0710 said:
The distances y and x are related by phytagaros x^2 +y^2 =500^2
Be careful here. You really have ##x_0^2 + y_0^2 = 500^2 ##
You can use this information to find the angle of the sun and turn y into a trigonometric relation to x at any height in the path.

I do find this very difficult for some reason:

First of all, just to argue why my first idea/logic must be wrong.
If implicitely differenciate x0^2 +y0^2 =500^2 i could get dy/dt but this would be the speed of the shadow at t=t0, which is zero and i don't want that.

2xdx/dt +2ydy/dt = 0
dy/dt = 2x(dx/dt)/2y We know that at x=0 so the whole equation becomes is zero 2*0(dx/dt)/2*y = 0 right?

So what is the hidden relationship?
I know that sin^2 +cos^2 =1^2 and i know that y=r*sin and x=r*cos

So i can find sin of omega by
sin^(-1)(y/r)= 11.537 degree.

How is y and x related in a right triangle`?
I assume tan =y/x but how does this help me find dy/dt?

I'm still not really seeing the picture.

Remember, you are dropping the ball, so dy/dt is just the speed of the falling ball.

dx/dt can be related to dy/dt by the trig function. The angle if the sun in the sky is (very nearly) constant while the ball is falling, so the ratio of dx/dt (horizontal shadow speed) to dy/dt (falling ball speed) is very nearly constant as the ball is falling,

The picture shows the falling ball and its shadows at different times. During the falling, the rays of the sun hitting the ball are parallel. What is the relation between y, hight of the ball, and x, horizontal coordinate of its shadow?
shadows.JPG

Likes RUber

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it includes both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. What is the formula for velocity?

The formula for velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

3. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity includes both speed and direction, while speed only measures the rate of change of distance. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while speed does not.

4. What is the Pythagorean theorem problem?

The Pythagorean theorem problem involves finding the length of one side of a right triangle when given the lengths of the other two sides using the formula a² + b² = c², where a and b are the two shorter sides and c is the hypotenuse.

5. How is the Pythagorean theorem related to velocity?

The Pythagorean theorem can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by an object with a constant velocity over a given time period. This is because velocity can be represented by a vector, and the Pythagorean theorem can be used to calculate the magnitude of this vector, which represents the total distance traveled.