Derivatives and rate of change

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem to find the functional relation between the distance from the wall (x) and the angle between the ladder and the wall (θ). The derivative of x is then used to determine the rate of change of x with respect to θ when θ is equal to pi/3.
physics604
1. A ladder 10 ft long rests against a vertical wall. Let θ be the angle between the top of the ladder and the wall and let x be the distance from the bottom of the ladder to the wall. If the
bottom of the ladder slides away from the wall, how fast does x change with respect to θ when θ=[itex]\frac{∏}{3}[/itex]?

Homework Equations

The derivative rules.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using trig, I know the base of the triangle = 10sinθ)^2.

Using the Pythagorean Theorem, I get the equation

x^2=100-100sin^2θ

x=√100(1-sin^2θ)

What is my next step?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, firstly you have your sines and cosines mixed up, the expression for [itex] x [/itex] should be,

[itex] x = 10\sin\theta [/itex].

Now that you have a functional relation between [itex] x [/itex] and [itex] \theta [/itex], what would the derivative of [itex] x [/itex] tell you?

Likes 1 person
Ok I got it! I just drew my diagram wrong :P

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function. It is defined as the slope of a tangent line to a curve at a specific point on the curve.

2. How is a derivative calculated?

A derivative can be calculated using the limit definition, which involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the independent variable approaches 0. It can also be calculated using differentiation rules, which allow for a faster and more efficient way to find derivatives.

3. What is the relationship between derivatives and rate of change?

Since a derivative represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function, there is a direct relationship between derivatives and rate of change. The derivative of a function at a specific point represents the rate of change of the function at that point.

4. What are some real-life applications of derivatives and rate of change?

Derivatives and rate of change are used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. Some real-life applications include calculating velocities and accelerations in physics, determining optimal production levels in economics, and designing efficient structures in engineering.

5. How do derivatives and rate of change relate to optimization?

Derivatives and rate of change are essential concepts in optimization problems. In order to find the maximum or minimum value of a function, we need to find the point where the derivative is equal to 0. This point represents the optimal solution for the given problem.