1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Further investigation of classic ladder problem

1. Feb 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I already know the answer, and know "how" to get the answer to this problem:

A 10 foot ft ladder leans against a wall at an angle θ with the horizontal [ground], as shown in the accompanying figure (the figure is of a ladder leaning against a wall). The top of the ladder is x feet above the ground. If the bottom of the ladder is pushed toward the wall, find the rate at which x changes with respect to θ when θ = 60 degrees. Express the answer in units of feet/degree.

My question is:

I understand that a rate is a derivative. And derivatives are expressed as tangent lines to a function on a graph. So I am wondering how this ladder problem would be expressed on a graph. Could it be expressed on the cartesian coordinate system? What would it look like? What would the x coordinates and y coordinates be?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just figure out what x is as a function of θ.

RGV

4. Feb 28, 2012 #3
    So for example, if I had a position vs time graph, that means the y axis would be a position axis and the x axis would be a time axis.

So are you saying that in this case, the y axis should be an "angle" axis and the x axis should be a position axis? So that I have an "angle vs position" graph?

5. Feb 28, 2012 #4

I still don't know what you mean. This is a function in terms of θ. Sinθ=x/10, so maybe i don't understand the terminology. What do you mean find out what x is as a function of θ? Are you saying find dx/dθ? I already found that to be 5ft/rad. But in terminology, I would have thought it would be said like this: "find derivative of x in terms of θ" ...so is that the same thing as saying: "find x as a function of θ"?

6. Feb 28, 2012 #5
    So you're saying I could represent it on trig graph like this?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sine.svg

Where the horizontal axis would be the angles and the vertical axis would be the height? So then the derivative of sin(60) would be cos60, or 1/2? So the slope or rate is 5?

7. Feb 28, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For every θ between 1 and π/2 you can figure out what x must be to match that θ. So, YES, you get a function x = f(θ), and its derivative df/dθ give you exactly what the question asks for, if you go back and read it again.

RGV

8. Feb 28, 2012 #7
    Right, but I already got the answer that the question asks for....I know that its 5ft/rad. I'm not confused about how to solve this question for the correct answer.

My question is, how is that represented on a coordinate system? (that is not part of any assigned question)

Which coordinate system should I use? (that is not part of any assigned question)

Where are you getting n/2 from? (that is not part of any assigned question)

Its just wondering how a scenario of a ladder moving would look if graphed. I can't picture it.

Am I on the right track with the sin graph?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook