Derivatives of a higher order - Satisfying the equation

In summary, derivatives of a higher order refer to repeated differentiation of a function using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. It is important to satisfy the equation for derivatives of a higher order to ensure a well-behaved and smooth graph, and to determine the rate of change at different points. The first, second, and third order derivatives represent the rate of change of the function, its first derivative, and its second derivative respectively. The nth order derivative represents the rate of change of the (n-1)th order derivative. Derivatives of a higher order can be negative, indicating a decrease in the function at that point.
K.QMUL

Homework Statement

Show that y= xex satisfi es

A(d2y)/dx2 + B(dy/dx) + Cy = 0

for suitably chosen values of the constants A, B, and C.

Homework Equations

Y=xex

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the attachment. I get to a point where I need to find the value of A, B and C but cannot as I'm dealing with x2 terms.

Help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20131015_172043.jpg
    20131015_172043.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
You calculated dv/dx wrong.

Could you explain Where I went wrong?

Oh, I see the mistake, Thanks

1. What are derivatives of a higher order?

Derivatives of a higher order refer to the repeated differentiation of a function. It involves taking the derivative of a function multiple times, which results in higher order derivatives.

2. Why is it important to satisfy the equation for derivatives of a higher order?

Satisfying the equation for derivatives of a higher order is important because it ensures that the function is well-behaved and has a smooth graph. It also helps in determining the rate of change of a function at different points.

3. How do you calculate derivatives of a higher order?

To calculate derivatives of a higher order, you use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule, depending on the type of function. These rules can be applied repeatedly to find higher order derivatives.

4. What is the difference between first, second, and third order derivatives?

The first order derivative represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a certain point. The second order derivative represents the rate of change of the first order derivative, and the third order derivative represents the rate of change of the second order derivative. In general, the nth order derivative represents the rate of change of the (n-1)th order derivative.

5. Can derivatives of a higher order be negative?

Yes, derivatives of a higher order can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point. However, the derivative itself is not negative, but the value of the derivative at that point can be negative.