Derivatives of First Solution in Reduction of Order

  • Thread starter Thread starter beetle2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reduction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
beetle2
Messages
110
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



find the first and second derivative of first solution.

Homework Equations



[itex]y(x)=m(x)y_1(x)[/itex]

[itex]y'(x)=m'(x)y_1(x)+m(x)y_1'(x)[/itex]




The Attempt at a Solution



I have been given [itex]y_1=\frac{1}{x^n}[/itex]

Which part is the m(x) and which is [itex]y_1(x)[/itex]
I'm not sure how to do the substitution
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sure the original question is Differential equation.

It asks find a pair of fundamentle soultions to the DE


[itex]x^2y''-3xy'+y=0[/itex]


So I'm trying to find the two solutions I'm taking [itex]y_1=\frac{1}{x^n}[/itex]
as one solution.
 
This is known as Eulers equation, you are correct (partially) in looking for solutions of the form:
[tex] y=x^{n}[/tex]
Insert this into your ODE and you will obtain a quadratic equation for [tex]n[/tex], this will have two solutions which correspond to the two solutions.
 
So does

[itex]x^2y''-3xy'+y=0[/itex]

become


[itex]x^2(n^2-2)x^{n-2} -3xnx^{n-1} + x^n=0[/itex]
 
I seem to be having trouble getting a quadratic for n

is this the right method?

I have

[itex]y=x^n[/itex]
than
[itex]y'=nx^{n-1}[/itex]
then
[itex]y''=(n^2-n-1)x^{n-2}[/itex]


so do you substitute into

[itex]x^2y''-3xy'+y=0[/itex] to give

[itex]x^2((n^2-n-1)x^{n-2})- 3x(nx^{n-1})+x^n=0[/itex]

I'm getting

[itex](n^2-4n+1)x^n[/itex]

I can see a characteristic equation there but not sure about the coefficient [itex]x^n[/itex]?
 
Almost:
[tex] y''=n(n-1)x^{n-2}[/tex]
So
[tex] x^{2}(n(n-1)x^{n-2}-3xnx^{n-1}+x^{n}=0[/tex]
which yields
[tex] (n^{2}-4n+1)x^{n}=0[/tex]
So
[tex] n^{2}-4n+1=0[/tex]
Can you calculate n from the above?
 
Thanks,

I solve the quadratic [tex]n^{2}-4n+1=0[/tex]
and get:

[tex]n_1=-\sqrt{3}-2[/tex] and [tex]n_2=\sqrt{3}+2[/tex]


So are the two solutions...?

[tex]y_1=c_1x^{-\sqrt{3}-2}[/tex] and [tex]y_2=c_2x^{\sqrt{3}+2}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
You flipped a sign in n1, but otherwise your solutions are correct.
 
Sorry,

[tex] y_1=c_1x^{-\sqrt{3}+2}[/tex]

thanks for your help guys