Derive a rate law from a mechanism (rates of reactions)

However, if we assume that the first two elementary steps are in equilibrium with each other and the last step is the rate-determining step, then we can derive the rate law of rate=k[CO][Cl2]^(3/2). This is consistent with the given rate law. In summary, the reaction CO + Cl <-> COCl2 has the rate law rate = k[CO][Cl2]^(3/2), which is consistent with the proposed mechanism where the first two elementary steps are in equilibrium and the last step is the rate-determining step.
qwedsa

Homework Statement

The reaction: CO + Cl <-> COCl2
has the rate law: rate = k[CO][Cl2]^(3/2)

Show that this rate law is consistent with the mechanism:

Cl2 <-> 2Cl (fast)
Cl + CO <-> COCl (fast)
Cl2 + COCl -> COCl2 + Cl (slow)

(i don't know how to do superscript and subscript on here. in Cl2, the 2 should be subscsript, and ^(3/2) means that the reaction is 3/2 order with respect to Cl2)

The Attempt at a Solution

when you derive a rate law from a proposed mechanism, you usually start with the slow reaction...

rate = k[Cl2][COCl]

if i didn't know beforehand that the reaction is 3/2 order with respect to Cl2, i'd say k[COCl]=k-1[CO] => rate = k[Cl2][CO] but apparently this is incorrent. i am not sure how to proceed with the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
While the last reaction is proceeding slowly, the species reacting fast are in equilibrium with each other.

Your mechanism looks a bit confusing to me, because the elementary steps don't seem to add up to the overall equation.

1. What is a rate law?

A rate law is a mathematical expression that relates the rate of a chemical reaction to the concentration of reactants. It is derived from the rate of the slowest step in the reaction mechanism.

2. How do you determine the rate law from a reaction mechanism?

The rate law is determined by examining the individual steps in a reaction mechanism and identifying the slowest step, also known as the rate-determining step. The rate law is then written using the reactants and their corresponding coefficients in the rate-determining step.

3. What is the difference between a rate law and a rate constant?

A rate law is an expression that describes the relationship between the rate of a reaction and the concentration of reactants. A rate constant, on the other hand, is a proportionality constant that relates the rate of a reaction to the concentration of reactants and is specific to a particular temperature and reaction.

4. Can a reaction mechanism have more than one rate-determining step?

Yes, some reactions have multiple steps that contribute to the overall rate of the reaction. In these cases, the rate law can be written using the slowest step or by combining the rate laws for each individual step.

5. How do other factors, such as temperature or catalysts, affect the rate law?

Other factors, such as temperature and catalysts, can affect the rate law by altering the rate constant or the reaction mechanism. For example, increasing the temperature can increase the rate constant, leading to a faster rate of reaction. Catalysts can also change the mechanism of a reaction, resulting in a different rate law.