Reaction Mechanism (Shouldn't Be Too Difficult)

In summary, the given reaction mechanism involves three steps and results in the overall reaction of Cl2 + CO → COCl2. The intermediates in this mechanism are COCl and Cl.
workerant
[SOLVED] Reaction Mechanism (Shouldn't Be Too Difficult)

Homework Statement

Write the equation for the overall reaction and identify any reaction intermediates:

STEP 1: Cl2---> Cl + Cl

STEP 2: Cl + CO---> COCl

STEP 3: COCl + Cl2---> COCl2 + Cl

Homework Equations

See above

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to do this when there is only one step... the overall equation is just the products from Step 1 make the reactants from Step 2, but having a third step confuses me.

My guess would be something such as Cl2+CO---> COCl2 + Cl, and COCl as a reaction intermediate, but I'm not so sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Overall: Cl2 + CO → COCl2; Intermediates: COCl, and Cl.

What is a reaction mechanism?

A reaction mechanism is the step-by-step sequence of elementary reactions that take place to form the products of a chemical reaction. It explains exactly how and why a reaction occurs.

Why is understanding reaction mechanisms important?

Understanding reaction mechanisms allows scientists to predict and control the outcome of a chemical reaction. It also helps in the development of new chemical reactions and the improvement of existing ones.

How are reaction mechanisms determined?

Reaction mechanisms are determined through a combination of experimental techniques and theoretical calculations. These can include spectroscopy, kinetics, and quantum chemical calculations.

What is the difference between a reaction mechanism and a reaction pathway?

A reaction mechanism is a detailed description of the individual steps that occur during a chemical reaction, while a reaction pathway is a simplified diagram that shows the overall flow of the reaction.

Can reaction mechanisms change?

Yes, reaction mechanisms can change as new experimental evidence is discovered or as new theoretical models are developed. They are constantly being refined and updated as our understanding of chemical reactions improves.