Prove that a capacitor driven by an AC voltage radiates EM

In summary, the radiation from a capacitor is due to the charges being accelerated over a significant distance.
zhouhao

Homework Statement

When the capacitor driven by DC voltage ##V_0##,it has the electric field distribution ##f(x,y,z)##
When ##V=V_0e^{iwt}##,how to show the EM travel in the space forever like the light?

Homework Equations

##-{\nabla}^2E-u{\epsilon}\frac{{\partial}^2{E}}{{\partial}t^2}=0 (1)##
derived from Maxwell equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I firstly think ##E(x,y,z,t)=e^{iwt}f(x,y,z)##.But this is not right,since ##f(x,y,z)## makes electric field not travel too long.

Physics news on Phys.org
A capacitor driven by AC does not radiate as there are no charges (electrons) being accelerated, except in the connecting wires. EM radiation cannot be obtained by just creating electric and magnetic fields. The only case I can think of where a capacitor radiates is where there is a thick dielectric in which charges can be accelerated.

tech99 said:
A capacitor driven by AC does not radiate as there are no charges (electrons) being accelerated, except in the connecting wires. EM radiation cannot be obtained by just creating electric and magnetic fields. The only case I can think of where a capacitor radiates is where there is a thick dielectric in which charges can be accelerated.

What? Why would you think there isn't charge being moved on and off the plates of the capacitor? There is a great deal of charge being accelerated and moved back and forth between the plates of a capacitor. Further the charge constitutes an oscillating dipole. The arrangement is very similar to the classic and ubiquitous dipole antenna invented by Heinrich Hertz and used to prove the existence of propagating EM waves.

Also you say EM radiation can't be created simply by creating EM fields. How do you think they are created? I will agree that not all fields radiate, but oscillating dipole fields do. Sloshing charge back and forth between sides of a dipole antenna to create an oscillating dipole field and is how we make radio.

Likes zhouhao
tech99 said:
What I want to know is that which apparatus could radiate EM and whether the EM could travel like the light traveling forever in the vacuum space.

Cutter Ketch said:
What? Why would you think there isn't charge being moved on and off the plates of the capacitor? There is a great deal of charge being accelerated and moved back and forth between the plates of a capacitor. Further the charge constitutes an oscillating dipole. The arrangement is very similar to the classic and ubiquitous dipole antenna invented by Heinrich Hertz and used to prove the existence of propagating EM waves.

Also you say EM radiation can't be created simply by creating EM fields. How do you think they are created? I will agree that not all fields radiate, but oscillating dipole fields do. Sloshing charge back and forth between sides of a dipole antenna to create an oscillating dipole field and is how we make radio.
Well, I enjoyed reading your reply! I do agree that there is a lot of charge sloshing back and forth on the plates of a capacitor, but any radiation that is happening arises from the conductor and circuit joining them together. This is because to obtain radiation we need to accelerate charges over a significant distance. This was the mechanism of radiation propose by J J Thompson and formalised by J Larmor. If Hertz had shortened his doublet to a small length, then for a given capacitor charge, the radiation would have diminished. With a closely spaced capacitor the radiation would be negligible.
You mention radiation from a dipole, and in this case you will notice that charges are being accelerated over a significant distance. Further, if we increase the strength of the E-field at the end of the dipole by using a thinner conductor, then the radiation is unaltered, so this E-field is evidently not related to radiation.

Likes zhouhao

1. How does a capacitor driven by an AC voltage radiate electromagnetic waves?

When an alternating current (AC) voltage is applied to a capacitor, the capacitor charges and discharges in a cyclical manner. This changing electric field creates a changing magnetic field around the capacitor, which in turn, creates an electromagnetic wave that radiates outward.

2. What is the relationship between the frequency of the AC voltage and the frequency of the electromagnetic wave radiated by the capacitor?

The frequency of the electromagnetic wave radiated by a capacitor is equal to the frequency of the AC voltage applied to the capacitor. This means that if the AC voltage has a frequency of 60 Hz, the electromagnetic wave radiated by the capacitor will also have a frequency of 60 Hz.

3. Does the size or type of the capacitor affect the strength of the electromagnetic waves it radiates?

Yes, the size and type of the capacitor can affect the strength of the electromagnetic waves it radiates. A larger capacitor will have a larger charge and therefore, a stronger electric field. Similarly, different types of capacitors have different capacitance values and can produce different levels of electromagnetic radiation when driven by the same AC voltage.

4. How is the direction of the electromagnetic wave determined by the capacitor?

The direction of the electromagnetic wave radiated by a capacitor is determined by the orientation of the capacitor in relation to the current flow. The changing electric field will create a magnetic field that is perpendicular to it, resulting in an electromagnetic wave that radiates outward in a direction perpendicular to the capacitor.

5. Can a capacitor driven by an AC voltage radiate different frequencies of electromagnetic waves simultaneously?

Yes, a capacitor can radiate multiple frequencies of electromagnetic waves simultaneously if it is driven by an AC voltage with multiple frequencies. This is due to the fact that the capacitor charges and discharges according to the frequency of the AC voltage, resulting in the emission of multiple frequencies of electromagnetic waves.