Divergence of an Electric Field due to an ideal dipole

In summary: First, you need to differentiate both sides of the equation:$$\frac {(\partial_{x} (\vec P \cdot \vec r))r^3) - (\vec P \cdot \vec r)(\partial_{x}r^3)} {r^6}$$$$-\partial_{x} \partial_{x} \phi = 0$$which gives you:$$-\nabla \phi_{x} = -\frac {(\partial_{x} (\vec P \cdot \vec r))r^3) - (\vec P \cdot \vec r)(\partial_{x}r^3)} {r^6}$$You can then
rakso
Homework Statement
Am I tackling this problem in a correct way and if, is there any other way?
Relevant Equations
##\nabla \times \vec E = \nabla \times (-\nabla \phi) = 0##
Given $$\vec E = -\nabla \phi$$ there $$\vec d \rightarrow 0, \phi(\vec r) = \frac {\vec p \cdot \vec r} {r^3}$$ and ##\vec p## is the dipole moment defined as $$\vec p = q\vec d$$

It's quite trivial to show that ##\nabla \times \vec E = \nabla \times (-\nabla \phi) = 0##. However, I want to show that ##\nabla \cdot \vec E = - \nabla^2 \phi = 0##.
My assumption of this equal ##0##, is from Gauss Law $$ \iint_{\partial V} \vec E \cdot d\vec S = \iiint_V \nabla \cdot \vec E \, dV = \frac {Q_{encl}}
{\epsilon_{0}}$$

However, when ##\vec d \rightarrow 0## we can't enclose one of the charges without enclosing the other one with any surface, hence ##\Sigma Q = 0##,
thus ##Q_{encl} = 0 \leftrightarrow \nabla \cdot \vec E = 0##

My questions: Am I reasoning correct, and does it exist any other way to show it? I'd rather not do a bruteforce calculation of ##- \nabla^2 \phi ##. =D

Physics news on Phys.org
Clearly, as you have concluded, the divergence must be zero everywhere due to Gauss' law (at least away from the dipole, where things get more complicated than that - but that complication is most likely beyond the scope of your class and the problem formulation). The question becomes what you are allowed to assume and how strict you need to make your argument. For example, if you can start from the potential of each individual charge and the corresponding point-charge potential and use that to argue for the potential of the dipole, then that should be sufficient.

There is also nothing wrong with the brute force calculation, which is rather straightforward in this case given some basic identities regarding the derivatives of ##\vec r## and ##r##.

Orodruin said:
There is also nothing wrong with the brute force calculation, which is rather straightforward in this case given some basic identities regarding the derivatives of ##\vec r## and ##r##.

Through calculations, given ##\vec P## is constant, can you assign ##\vec P## the values ##\vec P = (P_{1}, P_{2}, P_{3})## and regard the components as constants?

rakso said:
Through calculations, given ##\vec P## is constant, can you assign ##\vec P## the values ##\vec P = (P_{1}, P_{2}, P_{3})## and regard the components as constants?
Assuming you are writing the components in a Cartesian basis, fine. However, it should be sufficient to know that ##\vec p## is a constant vector, you do not really need to assign coordinates unless you need to derive the derivatives of the position vector ##\vec r## and the distance ##r##. Of course, you can assign a Cartesian basis if that makes you happier. The final result will not depend on the choice of basis.

Likes rakso
Orodruin said:
Assuming you are writing the components in a Cartesian basis, fine. However, it should be sufficient to know that ##\vec p## is a constant vector, you do not really need to assign coordinates unless you need to derive the derivatives of the position vector ##\vec r## and the distance ##r##. Of course, you can assign a Cartesian basis if that makes you happier. The final result will not depend on the choice of basis.

Im quite confused how to derive the dot product. Through the quotient rule I obtain $$\nabla \phi_{x} = \frac {(\partial_{x} (\vec P \cdot \vec r))r^3) - (\vec P \cdot \vec r)(\partial_{x}r^3)} {r^6} $$

Which, makes it complicated to execute the Lapace operator $$-\nabla^2 \phi = -\partial_{i} \partial_{i} \phi$$ for the three components. Am I missing something?

Perhaps it is not the best idea to look at particular components. Instead, try to focus on how the gradient and divergence act on ##\phi##. Also, Cartesian coordinates may or may not be the best choice for computing the Laplace operator acting on the dipole field (and that is about as much as I am comfortable saying here without giving too much away).

Likes rakso
I think I got it, defining ##0## can sometimes be tricky. Thanks for great answers, MB!

1. What is an ideal dipole?

An ideal dipole is a theoretical model used to represent a system of two equal and opposite charges separated by a very small distance. It is often used in physics and engineering to study the behavior of electric fields.

2. How is the divergence of an electric field due to an ideal dipole calculated?

The divergence of an electric field due to an ideal dipole is calculated using the formula div(E) = 2q/ε₀r³, where q is the magnitude of the charges, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the dipole.

3. What does the divergence of an electric field due to an ideal dipole represent?

The divergence of an electric field due to an ideal dipole represents the amount of electric flux flowing out of a closed surface enclosing the dipole. A positive divergence indicates an outward flow of flux, while a negative divergence indicates an inward flow.

4. How does the divergence of an electric field due to an ideal dipole change with distance?

The divergence of an electric field due to an ideal dipole decreases as the distance from the dipole increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance according to the inverse square law, leading to a decrease in the amount of electric flux flowing through a given surface.

5. What is the physical significance of the divergence of an electric field due to an ideal dipole?

The divergence of an electric field due to an ideal dipole is a measure of the net charge contained within a given volume. A non-zero divergence indicates the presence of a net charge, while a zero divergence indicates a net charge of zero.