Derive equation for voltage across a capacitor

In summary: It should be in your textbook.If not, go to wikipedia.org and search on capacitor. Then find the section on the current-voltage relation...
Fionn00
Hi I would appreciate some help on this question please.

Derive the basic equation for the voltage across a capacitor as a function of time for a circuit that includes a resistor and capacitor connected in sereis to a battery through a switch.

I know the formulas but haven't the slightest idea how to derive them.

Any help would be great thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Fionn00 said:
Hi I would appreciate some help on this question please.

Derive the basic equation for the voltage across a capacitor as a function of time for a circuit that includes a resistor and capacitor connected in sereis to a battery through a switch.

I know the formulas but haven't the slightest idea how to derive them.

Any help would be great thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

What are you allowed to start with? Can you use the differential equation that relates v(t) and i(t) for a capacitor? Or do you have to start with Maxwell's Equations?

For whichever, you just write the KCL equation for the circuit to start...

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What are you allowed to start with? Can you use the differential equation that relates v(t) and i(t) for a capacitor? Or do you have to start with Maxwell's Equations?

For whichever, you just write the KCL equation for the circuit to start...

Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure we can use the differential equations.
What KCL equation there are no nodes they are connected in series ?
i1 = 12 ??
All I've got so far is that the moment the switch is closed
i = E/R and the voltage across the capacitor = E - Vr which equals 0 as Vr = E/R*R.

Fionn00 said:
Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure we can use the differential equations.
What KCL equation there are no nodes they are connected in series ?
i1 = 12 ??
All I've got so far is that the moment the switch is closed
i = E/R and the voltage across the capacitor = E - Vr which equals 0 as Vr = E/R*R.

The node for your KCL is the one between the R and the C. Write the sum of currents leaving that node is equal to zero, and use the differential equation that relates i(t) to v(t) for the capacitor part. Just use V = I * R for the resistor part as you suggested.

Then you solve the resulting differential equation, and apply your initial conditions...

berkeman said:
The node for your KCL is the one between the R and the C. Write the sum of currents leaving that node is equal to zero, and use the differential equation that relates i(t) to v(t) for the capacitor part. Just use V = I * R for the resistor part as you suggested.

Then you solve the resulting differential equation, and apply your initial conditions...

What is the differential equation that relates i(t) to v(t) ?

Fionn00 said:
What is the differential equation that relates i(t) to v(t) ?

It should be in your textbook.

If not, go to wikipedia.org and search on capacitor. Then find the section on the current-voltage relation...

1. How is the voltage across a capacitor calculated?

The voltage across a capacitor is calculated using the equation V = Q/C, where V is the voltage in volts, Q is the charge on the capacitor in coulombs, and C is the capacitance in farads.

2. What is the significance of the equation for voltage across a capacitor?

The equation for voltage across a capacitor is significant because it allows us to understand the relationship between the charge and voltage on a capacitor. It also helps us calculate the energy stored in a capacitor.

3. How does the capacitance affect the voltage across a capacitor?

The capacitance is directly proportional to the voltage across a capacitor. This means that as the capacitance increases, the voltage across the capacitor also increases, and vice versa.

4. Can the voltage across a capacitor ever be negative?

No, the voltage across a capacitor can never be negative. This is because a negative voltage would mean that the charge on the capacitor is decreasing, which is not possible as a capacitor can only store charge and not remove it.

5. How does the voltage across a capacitor change with time?

The voltage across a capacitor changes with time according to the equation V(t) = V(0)e^(-t/RC), where V(t) is the voltage at a given time, V(0) is the initial voltage, t is time, and RC is the time constant. This equation shows that the voltage exponentially decreases as time passes.