Circuit with resistor, switch and capacitor

In summary: Yes, and how does it make the capacitor appear to the surrounding network at that instant of time?The capacitor appears to the surrounding network as an open circuit at t=0.
johann1301h

Homework Statement

We have a circuit with a battery, two resistors, a switch and a capacitor. We assume that the battery has a switch so that we can choose whether it should be a voltage source for the circuit.
krets_element.png

a) At time t = 0, we put on a voltage Vs
over the battery in the circuit. What is the current over the resistors and over the capacitor?

b) At time t = 0, we put on a voltage Vs
in the circuit. What is the charge on the capacitor as a function of time? What is the current over R2
as a function of time?

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that the circle with the V inside is the switch. I guess I have to use
Kirchhoffs first and second law somehow, can someone give me hints? I not sure if understand the different components of the diagram, where is the switch for instance?

Attachments

• krets_element.png
    krets_element.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 927
Physics news on Phys.org
Usually a circle with a V inside represents a voltmeter. The switch would be associated with the Vs(t) component (the battery).

What have you learned about the basic RC circuit so far?

Not much, so there is no resistance in the voltmeter?

johann1301h said:
Not much, so there is no resistance in the voltmeter?
The voltmeter, unless stated otherwise, is considered to be ideal and does not affect the circuit at all. It effectively has infinite resistance (open circuit).

You'd best go to your class notes and textbook and look at the sections that describes capacitors and the RC circuit. There's a formula or two you'll need.

Yes, sadly the course I'm taking is horrible, and there really isn't a book available, but I do know that

for the capacitor: I = C*dV/dt
and for the resistor V = RI,

But "open circuit", does that mean that the circuit is equivalent with this image, see picture:

Attachments

• krets_element.png
    krets_element.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 327
johann1301h said:
Yes, sadly the course I'm taking is horrible, and there really isn't a book available, but I do know that

for the capacitor: I = C*dV/dt
and for the resistor V = RI,
Yes, but you should also find expressions for I(t) , Q(t), and V(t) for charging and discharging the basic RC circuit configuration.

If they're not in your notes then a web search will turn up what you need.
But "open circuit", does that mean that the circuit is equivalent with this image, see picture:
Yes.

I found, using Kirchhoffs laws, the following: but I don't know how to go further

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 286
How do i find I (current) as function of time?

johann1301h said:
How do i find I (current) as function of time?
You would have to recognize that for a capacitor,
$$I_c = C \frac{dV_c}{dt}$$
and similarly,
$$V_c = \frac{1}{C} \int{I_c} \, dt$$
then solve the resulting differential equation(s).

It is much faster to recognize that for a DC driven RC circuit, all currents and potential differences will have the form of decaying or growing exponential functions (##A e^{t/\tau}## or ## A(1 - e^{t/\tau}##). Then it's a matter of determining the time constant ##\tau## for the circuit and finding the initial and steady state values for the quantities in question and writing the appropriate equations to fulfill those conditions.

Have you studied how to determine initial and steady state conditions for a circuit with capacitors?

I think I understand more now, I have to assume that I and V are functions of time, find a/the differential equation and solve it?

gneill said:
Have you studied how to determine initial and steady state conditions for a circuit with capacitors?

Well, I assume that there is no charge in the capacitor at t=0, is that what you mean?

johann1301h said:
Well, I assume that there is no charge in the capacitor at t=0, is that what you mean?
Yes, and how does it make the capacitor appear to the surrounding network at that instant of time?

When steady state is achieved, how much current does a capacitor draw or supply in the circuit? How then does the capacitor appear to the surrounding network at that time?

How can you use this information to find the initial and final values of voltages and currents?

johann1301h said:
I think I understand more now, I have to assume that I and V are functions of time, find a/the differential equation and solve it?
That is the "starting from the basics" approach, yes.

It's much quicker to already know what the solution is going to look like and then simply writing down the function of time. :smile:

At t = 0 i suppose all charged particles would move into the capacitor, and none would go through R1. And at the steady state it would be the other way around; the capacitor draws zero current (none can pass). And I guess it would appear as if the capacitor would be like an open circuit? I am a on to something?

johann1301h said:
At t = 0 i suppose all charged particles would move into the capacitor, and none would go through R1. And at the steady state it would be the other way around; the capacitor draws zero current (none can pass). And I guess it would appear as if the capacitor would be like an open circuit? I am a on to something?
You are definitely on to something.

So for the capacitor, can you tell me what the initial and final voltages will be?

Let's re-draw the circuit so that it's in a more familiar layout:
upload_2018-11-1_13-46-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-1_13-46-10.png
    upload_2018-11-1_13-46-10.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 378
Since there are no charged particles in the capacitor at t=0, I guess the voltage Vc would be zero.

But also, because Vc = Q/C = 0/C = 0

For the final voltage I guess;

Vs - I2R2 - Vc = 0

Vc = I2R2 - Vs

But also;

Vs - I2R2 - I1R1 = 0

Vs = I2R2 + I1R1

But because of Kirchhoffs current law, I1 = I2

Which gives

Vs = I2(R2 + R1)

Therefore

Vc = I2R2 - Vs = I2R2 - I2(R2 + R1) = I2R1

Vc = I2R1?

To determine what the final potential across the capacitor will be, remove the capacitor from the circuit (it draw no current anyways). Then look at what remains of the circuit. There will be no time-varying values anywhere in the circuit so you can treat it just as you would any resistor network being driven by a DC source. Determine the potential between the points where the capacitor was removed.

gneill said:
Determine the potential between the points where the capacitor was removed.

That would be the voltage over R1? Which is I2R1

johann1301h said:
That would be the voltage over R1? Which is I2R1
Sure, but what is I2? You should be able to find these values using only the given component variable names, no introduced unknown values.

l2 = Vs/(R1+R2)

Giving

Vc = l2R1 = VsR1/(R1+R2)

Right! Now you have final "values" for the capacitor voltage and the currents i1 and i2.

Do the same for their initial values. To find initial values, take the capacitor voltage to be zero (replace the capacitor with a short circuit) and analyze the circuit.

I1 = 0

and

I2 = Vs/R2 ?

But I still don't see how this can help me find I1(t), I2(t) and Ic(t)

johann1301h said:
I1 = 0

and

I2 = Vs/R2 ?
Looks good. Let's see if we can't write an equation for one of the currents, say ##i_1##.

We know that ##i_1## starts out at zero and ends up at ##V_s/(R_1 + R_2)##. What form of exponential curve grows from 0 to some asymptotically approached final value? Hint, it looks like this:

upload_2018-11-1_15-17-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-1_15-17-8.png
    upload_2018-11-1_15-17-8.png
    840 bytes · Views: 201
I2(t) = Vs/R2(1-e-t)

This is great, but I would never have guessed that the solution would be in this form, what kind of argumentation can be given for this?

Wait, I think I did something wrong...

I think I meant;

I1(t) = Vs/(R1 + R2)(1-e-t)

Yes, only there's one thing missing. The exponent needs a time constant.
$$e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}}$$
johann1301h said:
This is great, but I would never have guessed that the solution would be in this form, what kind of argumentation can be given for this?
Yes, it's the solution for the differential equation. As I mentioned before, ALL values that vary in an RC circuit (or an RL circuit) take the form of exponential growth or decay. You should be able to find the differential equation solved for the trivial RC circuit in your text, or failing that, just look up "RC circuit" on the web.

So about the time constant ##\tau##. If you remove the capacitor from the circuit and suppress the voltage supply, what net resistance does the capacitor "see" at its terminal connection points?

Ok, i have a lot to digest here. One question though, are we not assuming that Vs is constant ?

johann1301h said:
Ok, i have a lot to digest here. One question though, are we not assuming that Vs is constant ?
Yes. It's referred to as being a battery in the problem statement.

Oh yes! Battery = constant Vs, I get it!

gneill said:
So about the time constant τ. If you remove the capacitor from the circuit and suppress the voltage supply, what net resistance does the capacitor "see" at its terminal connection points?

Do you mean to "remove" the capacitor when it is fully charged? And what du you mean by suppressing the voltage ?

<h2>1. What is the purpose of a resistor in a circuit?</h2><p>A resistor is used to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It helps to control the amount of current that passes through a circuit and prevents damage to other components.</p><h2>2. How does a switch affect the flow of electricity in a circuit?</h2><p>A switch is used to open or close a circuit, which can either allow or prevent the flow of electricity. When the switch is closed, it completes the circuit and allows electricity to flow. When the switch is open, it breaks the circuit and stops the flow of electricity.</p><h2>3. What is the role of a capacitor in a circuit?</h2><p>A capacitor stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It can release this energy when needed, which can be useful for smoothing out voltage fluctuations in a circuit or providing a temporary power source.</p><h2>4. How does the presence of a capacitor affect the behavior of a circuit?</h2><p>The presence of a capacitor can affect the behavior of a circuit in several ways. It can cause a delay in the flow of electrical current, filter out certain frequencies, and store and release energy. It can also help to stabilize the voltage in a circuit.</p><h2>5. What happens when a resistor, switch, and capacitor are combined in a circuit?</h2><p>When a resistor, switch, and capacitor are combined in a circuit, they can work together to control the flow of electricity and store and release energy. The resistor limits the current, the switch controls the flow, and the capacitor stores energy. This combination can be useful in various electronic applications.</p>

1. What is the purpose of a resistor in a circuit?

A resistor is used to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It helps to control the amount of current that passes through a circuit and prevents damage to other components.

2. How does a switch affect the flow of electricity in a circuit?

A switch is used to open or close a circuit, which can either allow or prevent the flow of electricity. When the switch is closed, it completes the circuit and allows electricity to flow. When the switch is open, it breaks the circuit and stops the flow of electricity.

3. What is the role of a capacitor in a circuit?

A capacitor stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It can release this energy when needed, which can be useful for smoothing out voltage fluctuations in a circuit or providing a temporary power source.

4. How does the presence of a capacitor affect the behavior of a circuit?

The presence of a capacitor can affect the behavior of a circuit in several ways. It can cause a delay in the flow of electrical current, filter out certain frequencies, and store and release energy. It can also help to stabilize the voltage in a circuit.

5. What happens when a resistor, switch, and capacitor are combined in a circuit?

When a resistor, switch, and capacitor are combined in a circuit, they can work together to control the flow of electricity and store and release energy. The resistor limits the current, the switch controls the flow, and the capacitor stores energy. This combination can be useful in various electronic applications.