1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derive equation of trajectory of a body around a fixed body attracted by gravity

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is a fixed spherical body of mass M whose center is to be taken as origin. Another body of mass m whose initial position vector [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is given. This body is projected with initial velocity [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. Find the equation of trajectory of body with mass m around the body with mass M.

2. Relevant equations

Will the trajectory be an ellipse, just like the orbit of earth around the sun?

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried solving the position using Newton's Law of Gravity. I also tried using the formula a = v dv/dx and integrating but was unable to reach a solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Your problem is known as Kepler problem.

It is possible to derive the trajectory with Newton's Law of gravity, but this is an ugly calculation, at least ~2 pages long, involving polar coordinates, some substitutions and messy integrals.

Depending on the velocity, the radius and the masses M and m, the trajectory can be:
    - an ellipse
    - a parabola
    - a hyperpola
    which are all conic sections

4. Apr 10, 2012 #3
    thank you mfb
    but i am willing to go through the messy mathematics. So can u please help me by giving me a link to where this Kepler problem has been solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook