1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derive from projectile motion equation

1. Aug 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive:
    R=v^2sin2theta/g

Show that R=V0^2/g

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This is my first time to take up physics so I have no idea at all on how to do this, to be honest.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Start with a sketch of the motion, then draw the velocity-time graphs for the horizontal and vertical components.
    The area under the horizontal graph is the range R.

This would be a very unusual problem for a first-time physics student.
    Normally you would learn things like the definitions for velocity and displacement and drawing graphs and Newton's laws before you get to ballistics.

4. Aug 6, 2014 #3
    Thank you. There was no graph provided for this. Can this still be solved?

5. Aug 6, 2014 #4
    Also, I have no sufficient knowledge of trigonometry to be able to derive equations like this.

6. Aug 6, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have to make the graph yourself - it can also be done from the kinematic equations.
    You do need trigonometry to divide the initial velocity into horizontal and vertical components.
    You also need to know how to find the slope of a line and how to find the areas of a triangle and a rectangle.
    If you do not have these skills, or the ability to sketch v-t graphs, then you need to acquire these skills before attempting problems like this one.

There are plenty of online sites that can help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted