Derive Laplace Transform of the Third Derivative

In summary: So, if we let ##f(t) = f'''(t)## and the integration by parts formula is ##L\{f(t)\} = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-st}f(t)dt##, then we can write ##L\{f'''(t)\} = L\{f''(t)\} = L\{f'(t)\} = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-st}f'(t)dt##. In summary, the Laplace Transform of the third derivative of f(t) is found by applying integration by parts three times, using the formula ##L\{f(t)\} = \int_0^{\infty
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Derive he Laplace Transform of the third derivative of f(t).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I'm not at all sure how to do this. I think I can start with:

L{f'''(t)} =

But I'm honestly not sure how this works. Any guidance would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Northbysouth said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

L{f'''(t)} =

First, for a differentiable function F(t), derive the Laplace transform of F'(t) in terms of the transform of F(t)----standard method/material, widely available. Basically, use integration by parts.

Northbysouth said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

L{f'''(t)} =

Start with ##L\{f(t)\} = \int_0^{\infty}e^{-st}f(t)dt##. Let ##u = f(t)## and ##dv = e^{-st}## and apply integration by parts. Solve for ##\int_0^{\infty} e^{-st}f'(t)dt##, which is ##L\{f'(t)\}##. There will be an ##f(0)## term in your expression.

This is the standard method for finding the LT of a first derivative. Once you've done this, all you need to do is apply that iteratively (twice) to find the required LT of the third derivative. Note that you don't need to do the integration again, just apply the formula you've derived twice more.

What is the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function. It is calculated by finding the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a curve.

How do you find the Laplace Transform of the third derivative?

To find the Laplace Transform of the third derivative of a function, you can use the formula: L{f'''(t)} = s^3 F(s) - s^2 f(0) - sf'(0) - f''(0), where F(s) is the Laplace Transform of f(t) and f(0), f'(0), and f''(0) are the initial values of the function and its first two derivatives.

What is the significance of the third derivative in the Laplace Transform?

The third derivative in the Laplace Transform is significant because it represents the rate of change of acceleration. This can be useful in analyzing systems that involve motion or acceleration, such as in physics and engineering problems.

Why is the Laplace Transform of the third derivative important?

The Laplace Transform of the third derivative is important because it allows us to solve differential equations involving third derivatives, which can be difficult to solve using traditional methods. It also has applications in control systems, signal processing, and other areas of science and engineering.