Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derive Multivariable Taylor Series

1. Aug 17, 2010 #1
    Hello all,

I am currently studying multivariable calculus, and I am interested in the Taylor series for two variable function.

I am not sure where to begin; I cannot understand any of the proofs (which are apparently sparse) on the internet; they all just state it using a sigma sum; not very helpful to try to learn how it came to be :)

I was wondering how the 2-variable Taylor series is derived? :)

Cheers,
    Adrian

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2
    Basic idea:

Let f(x,y) be a sufficiently differentiable real function around the point (x0, y0). Consider the one-variable function

F(a) =f(x0 + a*nx, y0 + a*ny)

where a is a real number and (nx, ny) a real 2-vector. Try to calculate the one-dimensional Taylor expansion for the function F(a), and at the end put

nx = x - x0
    ny = y -y0

You'll find the two-dimensional Taylor series for f(x,y).

4. Aug 17, 2010 #3
    For a more direct approach, you may try this:

[tex]f(x+\Delta x, y+\Delta y) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(\Delta x)^k}{k!} \frac{d^k}{dx^k} f(x,y+\Delta y)[/tex]

[tex]= \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(\Delta x)^k}{k!} \frac{d^k}{dx^k}
    \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{(\Delta y)^j}{j!} \frac{d^j}{dy^j}
    f(x,y)[/tex]

[tex]= \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{(\Delta x)^k}{k!} \frac{(\Delta y)^j}{j!} \frac{d^k}{dx^k} \frac{d^j}{dy^j} f(x,y)[/tex]

[tex]= \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{(\Delta x)^k}{k!} \frac{(\Delta y)^j}{j!} f^{(k,j)}(x,y)[/tex]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  5. Aug 17, 2010 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

After ross' eminent start, you should try to switch the order of summation, in an intelligent manner, in order to gain a nice formula.

6. Aug 18, 2010 #5
    Thanks everyone, I nearly understand. But why is it only the change in x and y raised to the power?

Cheers,
    Adrian

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook