Derive time-dependent current for circuit

In summary, we are asked to derive an expression for the current I(t) as a function of time in a circuit with an inductor, capacitor, and switch. Using Kirchoff's Voltage Law and differential equations, we can find the expression to be I(t) = Acos(t/(LC)) + Bsin(t/(LC)), where A and B are constants determined by initial conditions.
0specificity

Homework Statement

Derive an expression for the current I(t) as a function of time for the following circuit:

____ \____
|..... |
&..... -
& .....-
| ...|

This circuit may be a bit unclear - the && is an inductor L, the - - is a capacitor C, and the top part is a switch that is open for t<0 and closed at t=0. And the ... are filler.

Homework Equations

I have no idea I am struggling incredibly.

The Attempt at a Solution

Help help please

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by filter?

1. Use Kirchoff's Voltage Law (sum of voltages around the loop of the circuit):2. However, we need to determine the voltage across the inductor and capacitor.
Just do research, the voltage of the inductor is:

V_L = Ldi/dt

V_C = (1/C) integral (idt)3. Using KVL: Ldi/dt + (1/C)integral(idt) = 04. We need to turn this one to differential equations. So we differentiate term by term

Ld^2i/dt^2 + (1/C)i = 05. Use methods of differential equation to solve for i with respect to t.

Lm^2 + (1/C) = 0

m^2 + 1/(L*C) = 0; m = +- j/(L*C)

I(t) = Acos(t/(LC)) + Bsin(t/(LC))6. The constants A and B can be derived using initial conditions.

See here for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LC_circuit

1. What is the time-dependent current in a circuit?

The time-dependent current in a circuit refers to the flow of electric charge over time. It is a measure of the rate at which electric charge is moving through a specific point in the circuit.

2. How is the time-dependent current calculated?

The time-dependent current can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that the current (I) in a circuit is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R): I = V/R. Additionally, the current can also be calculated using Kirchhoff's current law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit is equal to the sum of currents leaving the node.

3. What factors affect the time-dependent current?

The time-dependent current can be affected by a variety of factors, including the voltage applied to the circuit, the resistance of the circuit, and the capacitance and inductance of the circuit. Changes in any of these factors can cause the current to vary over time.

4. How does the time-dependent current change in an alternating current (AC) circuit?

In an AC circuit, the voltage applied to the circuit changes direction periodically, causing the current to also change direction. As a result, the time-dependent current in an AC circuit is constantly varying, unlike in a direct current (DC) circuit where the current remains constant.

5. Why is it important to consider the time-dependent current in circuit analysis?

The time-dependent current is an important factor to consider in circuit analysis because it can help determine the behavior of the circuit over time. By understanding how the current changes, engineers and scientists can design and optimize circuits for specific applications, such as in electronic devices or power systems.