Deriving a balanced bridge equation

In summary, the speaker is having trouble finishing a problem that involves deriving an equation for V5 in a circuit. They have applied a Delta-Wye transformation and are trying to show that the circuit is balanced when R1/R2 = R3/R4 for any value of R5. However, their attempt at solving the problem is not working well. The expert summarizer suggests an easier method, which involves showing that the bridge is balanced if V2 = V4 and using Ohm's law to obtain the desired equation.
quaker
I am having trouble finishing this problem. I am supposed to first derive an equation for V_5 in this circuit:

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/599/picture3qy2.png

I applied a Delta-Wye transformation to get here:

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/9672/workot8.jpg

From there I am supposed to show that the circuit is balanced when R1/R2 = R3/R4 for any value of R5. This is where I'm getting stuck. My attempt starts by setting the V5 equation equal to zero and then trying to reduce it. This isn't working very well since the V5 equation is pretty messy to begin with.

Am I going about this correctly, or is there an easier method I should use? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think the V5 equation is messy. But there's an easier way to show the condition for a balanced bridge.

The bridge is balanced if V2 = V4 since there will be no current then across R5. This also means V1 = V3. Then, from applying Ohm's law to the 2 equations and canceling the currents, you should get R1/R2 = R3/R4 quite easily.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with this problem. I can understand how challenging it can be to derive equations and solve complex circuits. I will do my best to provide a response that will help you with this problem.

First, let's start by reviewing the Delta-Wye transformation, since it seems like you have already used it in your attempt to solve this problem. The Delta-Wye transformation is a technique used to simplify a circuit by transforming a Delta (Δ) configuration into a Wye (Y) configuration. In this transformation, three resistors are connected in a triangle (Delta) and are transformed into three resistors connected in a Y shape. The transformation follows the equation:

R1 = (Rab * Rac) / (Rab + Rac + Rbc)

R2 = (Rab * Rbc) / (Rab + Rac + Rbc)

R3 = (Rac * Rbc) / (Rab + Rac + Rbc)

Now, let's apply this transformation to the circuit given in the problem. We can see that the resistors R1, R2, and R3 are already connected in a Delta configuration. So, we can transform them into a Wye configuration by replacing R1, R2, and R3 with the following resistors:

R1' = (R1 * R2) / (R1 + R2 + R3)

R2' = (R1 * R3) / (R1 + R2 + R3)

R3' = (R2 * R3) / (R1 + R2 + R3)

This transformation will give us the following circuit:

Now, we can see that the circuit has two parallel branches, each with two resistors in series. This means that we can use the voltage divider rule to find the voltage across R5.

V5 = (R4 / (R3' + R4)) * (R5 / (R1' + R5)) * V4

= (R4 / (R3' + R4)) * (R5 / (R1' + R5)) * (V3' + V5)

= (R4 / (R3' + R4)) * (R5 / (R1' + R5)) * (V3 + V5)

1. What is a balanced bridge equation?

A balanced bridge equation is a mathematical relationship that describes the equilibrium state of a system. It is often used in physics and engineering to determine unknown values or variables in a circuit or other physical system.

2. How is a balanced bridge equation derived?

A balanced bridge equation is derived by using the principles of Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. By applying these laws to a circuit or system, a set of equations can be formed and solved to find the unknown values or variables.

3. Why is a balanced bridge equation important?

A balanced bridge equation is important because it allows scientists and engineers to analyze and understand the behavior of complex systems. It also helps in designing and troubleshooting circuits and other physical systems.

4. Can a balanced bridge equation be used in all types of systems?

Yes, a balanced bridge equation can be used in all types of systems where the principles of Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law apply. This includes electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and even biological systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using a balanced bridge equation?

While a balanced bridge equation is a useful tool in many situations, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the system is in a steady-state equilibrium and does not account for transient or dynamic behavior. It also relies on idealized assumptions and may not accurately represent real-world systems.