Wheatstone bridge with capacitances

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of KVL and KCL in finding the equivalent capacitor in a circuit with capacitors. It also mentioned using the star-delta transformation technique. The conversation concluded with a suggestion to use mesh analysis with mesh charges instead of mesh currents.
Conductivity

Homework Statement

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/circuit-gif.64003/
Basically I am asked to find the equivalent capacitor.

Homework Equations

C = q/v
Conservation of energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have read a lot about this topic and how if they were for example resistor and R4 * R3 = R1 * R5, the bridge doesn't go through it a current and I derived that. But I couldn't do the same with capacitors, however I found that this also happens with capacitors. In the question, The equation above applies ( replace R with C)

So here is my question, Is there is a simple high school derivation for this? and what if the wheatstone wasnt balanced how would I calculate it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Conductivity said:
So here is my question, Is there is a simple high school derivation for this?
Yes. Are you familiar with KVL and KCL?
Conductivity said:
what if the wheatstone wasnt balanced how would I calculate it?
Using star-delta transformation technique which may not be there in your high school syllabus.

cnh1995 said:
Yes. Are you familiar with KVL and KCL?

Using star-delta transformation technique which may not be there in your high school syllabus.
for the first one Yes,
Second Nope

Biker said:
for the first one Yes,
Second Nope
You answered this as if you were OP.

Is that the case ?

SammyS said:
You answered this as if you were OP.

Is that the case ?
Me and him are friends irl. We are solving this together. So you could consider us both the OP

Conductivity said:

Homework Statement

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/circuit-gif.64003/
Basically I am asked to find the equivalent capacitor.

Homework Equations

C = q/v
Conservation of energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have read a lot about this topic and how if they were for example resistor and R4 * R3 = R1 * R5, the bridge doesn't go through it a current and I derived that. But I couldn't do the same with capacitors, however I found that this also happens with capacitors. In the question, The equation above applies ( replace R with C)

So here is my question, Is there is a simple high school derivation for this? and what if the Wheatstone wasn't balanced how would I calculate it?
If you know how to solve the similar circuit but with resistors, rewrite that relevant equation as follows.

##\displaystyle \ V=q\cdot \frac 1 C \ ##

Compare that with Ohm's Law.

Likes cnh1995
To expand on what SammyS stated above: When you have a network where no current flows at steady state as in this example where the network consists of capacitors only, then if a voltage source is connected across the network some finite amount of charge will flow into the network over some limited time and then all current flow ceases when equilibrium is achieved. This leaves charges on each of the capacitors, hence potential differences.

For the short time that current does flow in the circuit all of the usual circuit laws are obeyed (KVL, KCL). More importantly, the steady state condition when current ceases to flow will also satisfy KVL. So the potentials left on the capacitors will satisfy KVL.

What this means is that you can write KVL loop equations for the "static" condition where charge replaces current and ##V = q/C## is used in place of Ohm's law. Rather than net currents in branches you have net charge moved in those branches.

You could even use mesh analysis to write loop equations, where you assume mesh charges rather than mesh currents:

upload_2016-8-2_6-38-42.png

In the above diagram the assumed mesh charges are q1 through q3, representing the total charge moved by analogous mesh currents during the short time that current flows when reaching steady state. Mesh equations can be written using ##q##'s in place of ##I##'s and ##1/C##'s in place of ##R##'s.

Likes Biker and cnh1995
gneill said:
To expand on what SammyS stated above: When you have a network where no current flows at steady state as in this example where the network consists of capacitors only, then if a voltage source is connected across the network some finite amount of charge will flow into the network over some limited time and then all current flow ceases when equilibrium is achieved. This leaves charges on each of the capacitors, hence potential differences.

For the short time that current does flow in the circuit all of the usual circuit laws are obeyed (KVL, KCL). More importantly, the steady state condition when current ceases to flow will also satisfy KVL. So the potentials left on the capacitors will satisfy KVL.

What this means is that you can write KVL loop equations for the "static" condition where charge replaces current and ##V = q/C## is used in place of Ohm's law. Rather than net currents in branches you have net charge moved in those branches.

You could even use mesh analysis to write loop equations, where you assume mesh charges rather than mesh currents:

View attachment 104197
In the above diagram the assumed mesh charges are q1 through q3, representing the total charge moved by analogous mesh currents during the short time that current flows when reaching steady state. Mesh equations can be written using ##q##'s in place of ##I##'s and ##1/C##'s in place of ##R##'s.
Thanks a lot for the answer, I am going to try it and see what I will come up with.

Thanks again.

Got the right answer, Thanks everyone!

What is a Wheatstone bridge with capacitances?

A Wheatstone bridge with capacitances is a type of electronic circuit used to measure unknown resistances or capacitances. It consists of four resistors arranged in a diamond shape with a capacitor in one of the arms.

How does a Wheatstone bridge with capacitances work?

The Wheatstone bridge with capacitances works by balancing the voltage across the two arms of the bridge. When the bridge is balanced, the voltage across the capacitor is zero, and this can be used to calculate the unknown capacitance or resistance.

What are the advantages of using a Wheatstone bridge with capacitances?

One advantage of using a Wheatstone bridge with capacitances is that it is a highly accurate method for measuring unknown resistances or capacitances. It is also relatively simple and inexpensive to construct.

What are the limitations of a Wheatstone bridge with capacitances?

One limitation of a Wheatstone bridge with capacitances is that it can only be used for measuring unknown resistances or capacitances within a certain range. If the unknown value is too low or too high, the bridge may not be able to accurately measure it. Additionally, the bridge requires a stable power source to function properly.

What are some real-world applications of a Wheatstone bridge with capacitances?

Wheatstone bridges with capacitances are commonly used in electronic devices, such as sensors, to measure temperature, pressure, and other physical quantities. They are also used in laboratory settings for precise measurements of resistance and capacitance values.