Deriving Basic Physic Problem Using Calculus

In summary, at a distance of 45 meters from a traffic light, a car traveling at a speed of 15 m/s is brought to a stop at a constant deceleration of -5 m/s. The car would take 3 seconds to come to a full stop.
Hypnos_16

Homework Statement

At a distance of 45 meters from a traffic light, a car traveling 15 m/s is brought to a stop at a constant deceleration

a) What is the value of Deceleration (-5m/s)
b) How far has the car moved when its speed has been reduced to 3 m/s
c) How many seconds would the car take to come to a full stop?

Homework Equations

I really want to solve this Physics based, but we need to use calculus to derive the equations. so there's no way of showing what equations i have used already

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have an attempt at b and c because i don't know how to start them.
Help would be appreciated, it's the last two questions i have to do on an assignment for tomorrow. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration function for the car is a(t) = -5 , a constant function. What are the velocity and position functions for this? (What is the relationship between a(t) and v(t)? between v(t) and x(t) ?

the relationship between a(t) and v(t), and v(t) and x(t) is that if you integrate a(t) you get v(t) and integrating v(t) gets x(t)

Hypnos_16 said:
the relationship between a(t) and v(t), and v(t) and x(t) is that if you integrate a(t) you get v(t) and integrating v(t) gets x(t)

Good! So [itex]v(t) = \int a(t) dt = \int (-5) dt [/itex] gives you...?

Well, from what i can tell, it give you the speed at any given time.
But if that's the case i don't have the time to solve B

Hypnos_16 said:
Well, from what i can tell, it give you the speed at any given time.
But if that's the case i don't have the time to solve B

You get an "arbitrary constant" from the integration. What you know from the statement of the problem is that when the car begins slowing down, which is at t = 0, the speed is v(0) = 15 m/sec. What does this make the constant from your velocity integral?

Acceleration?
Sorry, this really isn't clicking.

Hypnos_16 said:

Homework Statement

At a distance of 45 meters from a traffic light, a car traveling 15 m/s is brought to a stop at a constant deceleration

a) What is the value of Deceleration (-5m/s)
b) How far has the car moved when its speed has been reduced to 3 m/s
c) How many seconds would the car take to come to a full stop?

Homework Equations

I really want to solve this Physics based, but we need to use calculus to derive the equations. so there's no way of showing what equations i have used already

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have an attempt at b and c because i don't know how to start them.
Help would be appreciated, it's the last two questions i have to do on an assignment for tomorrow. Please help

You might find it easier to consider the problem in reverse: starting from rest, a car undergoing constant acceleration reaches a speed of 15 m/s at a distance of 45 m.

RGV

Hypnos_16 said:
Acceleration?
Sorry, this really isn't clicking.

Are you asking about the "-5" ? Acceleration is any change in velocity, so slowing down is a negative acceleration (what people also called a "deceleration"). The calculations of motion can be done with positive or negative accelerations; the ability to work out the velocity and position functions does not depend on the sign of a(t).

1. How is calculus used in physics?

Calculus is used in physics to describe and analyze the motion and change of physical quantities over time. It helps us understand the relationship between position, velocity, and acceleration, and allows us to calculate rates of change and solve problems involving curves and slopes.

2. What are some common basic physics problems that can be solved using calculus?

Some common basic physics problems that can be solved using calculus include calculating the velocity and acceleration of an object, finding the maximum height or distance traveled in a projectile motion, and determining the work and energy involved in a system.

3. What are the two main branches of calculus and how are they applied in physics?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus is used to calculate rates of change and find instantaneous values, while integral calculus is used to find the total sum of a changing quantity over a given interval. In physics, differential calculus is used to calculate velocity and acceleration, while integral calculus is used to find work, energy, and displacement.

4. How does the use of calculus make solving physics problems more efficient?

The use of calculus makes solving physics problems more efficient because it allows us to use a set of rules and equations to find solutions for a wide range of problems, rather than solving each problem individually. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and relationships between physical quantities.

5. Can calculus be used in more advanced physics concepts?

Yes, calculus is used extensively in advanced physics concepts such as electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and general relativity. It is essential for understanding and describing complex phenomena and has many applications in the fields of engineering and technology.