Show that the wheel has constant retardation using calculus

The flywheel has a constant retardation.In summary, the conversation discussed how to use calculus to show that a flywheel has a constant retardation. The solution involved finding the initial and final angular velocities and using the equation pi=60t-(t^2)/3 to find the second derivative of the angular position, which was then determined to be a constant value of -2/3 rad/s^2. This showed that the flywheel has a constant retardation of -2/3 rad/s^2.
MathsRetard09

Homework Statement

I am required to use calculus to show that a flywheel has constant retardation

Prior to this I have found the initial angular velocity which is 60rad/s and the angular velocity after 2s which is 58.667rad/s

Homework Equations

pi=60t-(t^2)/3

dpi/dt = 60 - 2t/3

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't use calculus at the time because i found it easier to do this owever didn't get an accurate answer:

If t = 4s then:

dpi/dt = 60-2(4)/3
= 57.333rad/s

If t = 6s then:

dpi/dt = 60-2(6)/3
= 56rad/s

At this point i discovered a pattern so immediatly doubled the 6s to 12s to see if i got another even answer, thefore if t = 12s then:

dpi/dt = 60(12)/3
= 52rad/s

if t = 18s then:

dpi/dt = 60 - 2(18)/3
= 48 rad/s

So i know every 6s the flywheel retards by 4rad/s

However this isn't the correct approach and isn't using calculus and I am having trouble trying to understand my notes when i did do this months ago.

Please help me out, it's simple stuff but I just can't for the life of me remember how to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing 'pi' means the angular position of some arbitrary point on the flywheel. And so dpi/dt is the angular speed of the flywheel.

The problem is not too difficult. The main thing is to define what is meant by the 'retardation of the flywheel'. Think of some physical concepts which the retardation might correspond to. To be honest, the 'retardation of the flywheel' could mean one of several things, so the question is not worded very well. But from the wording of the question, you can probably guess what the 'retardation of the flywheel' is supposed to mean, physically.

It would help a lot if you defined your terms better- Bruce W assumes that is your angle (measured from where?)- pi is not a good choice. And you don't say what "retardation" means. I think you mean that the bottom of the wheel is moving backwards relative to the axle but that is obviously true.

Figured it out guys.

I wasn't using the calculus

Retardation is basically decceleration - therefore it's acceleration so the value would be negative.

Sorry not pi, sigma - that's my mistake appolagees

Basically Angular Acceleration (alpha) = d2sigma/dt^2

Which basically means that to find the Angular Acceleration I would have to find the second derivative of the original equation I was given:

sigma = 60t - (t^2)/3

which gives me -2/3

So I have my answer but how do I explain that from my workings out that I understand that the wheel has a constant retardation?

Or in other words, the angular acceleration is -2/3 m/s^2 - how do I show that this is going to be constant over time?

Do I need to look at velocity?

Thanks for your responces.

MathsRetard09 said:
Figured it out guys.

I wasn't using the calculus

Retardation is basically decceleration - therefore it's acceleration so the value would be negative.

Sorry not pi, sigma - that's my mistake appolagees

Basically Angular Acceleration (alpha) = d2sigma/dt^2

Which basically means that to find the Angular Acceleration I would have to find the second derivative of the original equation I was given:

sigma = 60t - (t^2)/3

which gives me -2/3

So I have my answer but how do I explain that from my workings out that I understand that the wheel has a constant retardation?

Or in other words, the angular acceleration is -2/3 m/s^2 - how do I show that this is going to be constant over time?

Do I need to look at velocity?

Thanks for your responces.

[itex]-\frac{2}{3} rad.s^{-2}[/itex] (note the units!) is a constant because it doesn't depend on time. Expressions that are dependent on time would have a 't' somewhere in them, but this does not. So, it's a retardation because of the minus sign, and it's constant because it's independent of t. Your job is done.

1. What is the definition of "retardation" in this context?

Retardation, in this context, refers to the decrease in the rate of change of the wheel's rotation over time. This means that the wheel is slowing down at a constant rate.

2. How can calculus be used to show that the wheel has constant retardation?

Calculus can be used to analyze the rate of change of the wheel's rotation using derivatives. By taking the derivative of the wheel's angular velocity with respect to time, we can determine if the wheel has a constant retardation or not.

3. What is the formula for calculating the rate of change of the wheel's rotation?

The formula for the angular acceleration of a wheel is a = dω/dt, where ω is the angular velocity and t is time. This formula can be used to determine if the wheel has a constant retardation or not.

4. Can you provide an example of a real-life scenario where the wheel has constant retardation?

One example of a real-life scenario where the wheel has constant retardation is a car braking. As the driver applies the brakes, the wheels slow down at a constant rate due to the friction between the tires and the road.

5. Why is it important to understand the concept of constant retardation in relation to the wheel?

Understanding the concept of constant retardation in relation to the wheel is important for engineers and designers, as it allows them to accurately calculate the stopping distance and braking performance of vehicles and other rotating machinery. It also helps in determining the necessary brake force and materials for optimal performance and safety.