1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using calculus to derive the volume of a pyramid

1. Jun 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use calculus to derive the volume of a pyramid

3. The attempt at a solution

There's probably a simpler way to go about this, but I wanted a challenge. I decided to calculate 1/4 of the pyramid in the first octant and then multiply my final answer by 4.

First we have a pyramid of height h, length L and width w, (measuring from the origin) so the corners are at (0,0,h), (L,0,0) and (0,w,0).

Calculating the plane that defines this quarter of the pyramid yields

[itex]whx+lhy+lw(z-h)=0[/itex] so [itex]z=h-\frac{hx}{l}-\frac{hy}{w}[/itex]

We integrate this over dy from 0 to [itex]y=\frac{-wx}{l}+w[/itex] which is the diagonal line the pyramid would make in octant one when looking straight down and then over dx from 0 to L.

Multiply this answer by 4 and we get [itex]\frac{2hwl}{3}[/itex], so it comes out double for some reason? :cry:

Thanks for looking.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by this? What plane? You can, in fact, use a number of different planes. Planes parallel to the three coordinate planes are the obvious ones.
    Taking [tex]z= z_0[/tex] we would, by "similar triangles" have [tex]\frac{x}{l}= \frac{y}{w}= \frac{z_0}{h}[/tex] so that we integrate with respect to z from 0 to h and, for each z, with respect to x from 0 to [tex]\frac{lz}{h}[/tex] and with respect to y from 0 to [tex]\frac{wz}{h}[/tex]

4. Jun 21, 2013 #3
    "What plane?"

As I thought I made clear, the plane defining the surface of the pyramid in the first octant.

5. Jun 21, 2013 #4
    With respect, I think you are making this unnecessarily difficult, and you are calculating only for a symmetrical pyramid. Imagine any pointy thing with straight edges between base and top, with a base area 'A' in the xy plane, and height h. Then consider a parallel plane thickness dz, at height z. Calculate the volume of the slice, and then integrate between o and h.

6. Jun 21, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Didn't follow the logic in the OP completely, but I notice the absence of a step where the area of a triangle is involved. That's where the 1/2 should come from.

7. Jun 21, 2013 #6
    What made you think I'm calculating only for a symmetrical pyramid?

8. Jun 21, 2013 #7
    That would be nice, but I'm fairly sure that's not it as the double integral accounts for the area of the triangle. I did it twice and got the same answer so I'm fairly certain it's not an algebra mistake. Hopefully this will make things clearer:

G5GwXw0.jpg

9. Jun 22, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The integrand is only valid for z=0. If you think I've misunderstood, pls write out in more detail how you're carving up the pyramid for the purpose of integration.

10. Jun 23, 2013 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're not solving the problem you think you are. You found the volume of a pyramid where the diagonals of the base are length 2L and 2w. The area of the base is 4(wL/2) = 2wL, and to get the volume, you'd multiply the area of the base by h/3, which yields the same result as what you got.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  11. Jun 24, 2013 #10

Of course! Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted