Deriving Equation of Motion for Quintessence Scalar Field?

In summary: That means that the units of φ'' are 1/time.In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in deriving the equation of motion for the quintessence field, specifically the issue with getting a correct term for φ'. The participants mention using the inflaton Lagrangian and the Euler-Lagrange equation, but have not been able to achieve the correct equation of motion. They discuss checking the units of each term and correcting their partial derivatives. Finally, they mention that both φ and a have units of time, making the units of φ'' 1/time.
HashKetchum
Hello, I am having trouble deriving the equation of motion for the quintessence field.
The equation of motion which I am meant to get at the end point is: (with ' denoting derivative w.r.t time)

φ'' + 3Hφ' + dV/dφ = 0

Using the inflaton lagrangian:

lagra101.gif
(although with a generic potential V(φ) as opposed to m2φ^2.

with the euler-lagrange equation. However the best I have managed to achieve through this is:

φ'' + dV/dφ + (1/2)(φ')^2 + (H^3)φ'= 0

I effectively have the potential term and the φ'' term correct but the φ' terms are clearly wrong. I am unsure how I would ever get 3H as the prefix for the φ' term as I always get (a'/a)^3 which = H^3.

There is a lot of information online but it all seems to state that you just use the lagrangian with the euler-lagrange equations and get the equation of motion out but nothing has the full derivation!

Thank you for any help!

Space news on Phys.org
HashKetchum said:
φ'' + dV/dφ + (1/2)(φ')^2 + (H^3)φ'= 0

I effectively have the potential term and the φ'' term correct but the φ' terms are clearly wrong. I am unsure how I would ever get 3H as the prefix for the φ' term as I always get (a'/a)^3 which = H^3.
I am unsure what precisely went wrong, but your answer definitely isn't right, as the units don't match (each term should have units of 1/time^2).

You might be able to find the error by looking at the units of the terms at each step, and see where the extra powers of time came in.

This is my working, if anyone could point out where I've gone wrong id be really grateful!

Attachments

• 20160419_203815.jpg
    20160419_203815.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 726
Chalnoth said:
I am unsure what precisely went wrong, but your answer definitely isn't right, as the units don't match (each term should have units of 1/time^2).

You might be able to find the error by looking at the units of the terms at each step, and see where the extra powers of time came in.
Do you mean the units of the phi'', the phi' and the dv/dphi terms should all be 1/time^2?

HashKetchum said:
Do you mean the units of the phi'', the phi' and the dv/dphi terms should all be 1/time^2?
Yes. Otherwise it would be impossible to add the terms together.

HashKetchum said:
This is my working, if anyone could point out where I've gone wrong id be really grateful!
Yeah, there are a few mistakes here. Without just laying out the answer, your partial derivatives are off.

Likes HashKetchum
Chalnoth said:
Yeah, there are a few mistakes here. Without just laying out the answer, your partial derivatives are off.

Thanks, i spotted the wrong partial derivative at the start but still get this? I wish H was a log :(

Attachments

• 20160420_015605.jpg
    20160420_015605.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 448
HashKetchum said:
Thanks, i spotted the wrong partial derivative at the start but still get this? I wish H was a log :(
The total derivative with respect to time (your third derivative there) isn't right.

Chalnoth said:
Thank you! Managed to crack it :) slightly stuck for the units all being 1/time^2 though, do φ and a just have units of time? If so then surely φ'' is unitless?

HashKetchum said:
Thank you! Managed to crack it :) slightly stuck for the units all being 1/time^2 though, do φ and a just have units of time? If so then surely φ'' is unitless?
Both [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]a[/itex] are unitless.

1. How does the quintessence scalar field impact the equation of motion?

The quintessence scalar field is a hypothetical field that is thought to be responsible for the acceleration of the expansion of the universe. It is included in the equation of motion through its energy density and pressure, which contribute to the overall energy density and pressure of the universe.

2. What is the role of the potential energy in the equation of motion for quintessence scalar field?

The potential energy of the quintessence scalar field plays a crucial role in the equation of motion. It determines the dynamics of the field and how it evolves over time. The potential energy also contributes to the overall energy density and pressure of the universe, affecting its expansion rate.

3. How is the equation of motion for quintessence scalar field derived?

The equation of motion for quintessence scalar field is derived through the Einstein field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the energy and matter content of the universe. The inclusion of the quintessence scalar field in these equations leads to a modified equation of motion that accounts for its impact on the expansion of the universe.

4. Can the equation of motion for quintessence scalar field be solved analytically?

While there are some simplified models that allow for analytical solutions, the full equation of motion for quintessence scalar field is highly complex and typically requires numerical methods for solution. This is due to the non-linear nature of the field and its interactions with other components of the universe.

5. How does the equation of motion for quintessence scalar field differ from that of dark energy?

The equation of motion for quintessence scalar field and dark energy are similar in that they both contribute to the overall energy density and pressure of the universe. However, the main difference is that dark energy is typically modeled as a constant, while the quintessence scalar field has a time-varying potential energy that can result in different dynamics and effects on the expansion of the universe.