1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving full adder sum and carry outputs using boolean algebra

1. Apr 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I am trying to write the sum and output of a full adder in terms of XOR logical functions using boolean logic and Karnaugh maps. I've got the expressions from the Karnaugh maps fine but I can't seem to rearrange them into the expected form shown at the end of my working.

2. Relevant equations

Explained above.

3. The attempt at a solution

It's going to be difficult writing my working here but hopfully it is clear:

My equation obtained from the Karnaugh map using a minimized SOP:
    Sum = NOT(A).NOT(B).C + NOT(A).B.NOT(C) + A.B.C + A.NOT(B).NOT(C)
    Sum = NOT(A).(NOT(B).C + B.NOT(C)) + A.(B.C + NOT(B).NOT(C))
    Sum = NOT(A).(B XOR C) + A.(B.C + NOT(B).NOT(C))

Sum = NOT(NOT(A).B + A.NOT(B)).C + (NOT(A).B + A.NOT(B)).NOT(C)
    Sum = (A XOR B) XOR C

This is where I'm trying to get. I've tried going both backwards and forwards but I just don't know where to go in-between. Any suggests to get me past the 3rd step I'm at?

Thank you,
    Dan

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2
    I've made some significant progress but I've become stuck again.. here is what I've got:

attachment.php?attachmentid=18511&stc=1&d=1239946116.png

Attached Files:

• sum.png
      sum.png
      File size:
      3.2 KB
      Views:
  4. Apr 17, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Ouch. Welcome to the PF. This is a 3-bit full-adder? Could you post the truth table, including the carry bit? But then how do K-maps help in an XOR implementation of the truth table? I don't think I've ever had to morph into XOR logic (must be an academic thing?) -- what are the techniques for going from traditional minterm implementations (K-maps) to XOR logic?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook