Doubt about BCD Sum circuit using full adders

In summary, the BCD sum circuit includes an OR gate that sums six to the nibble if the nibble is not a valid BCD number (10, 11, 12, 13, 14, or 15). The overflow is also a trigger to sum six to the nibble, and invalid nibbles also represent carry out. However, the carry-out should not go into the OR gate as it should only be an indicator of overflow. This is demonstrated in the example of adding 15 + 1 in BCD.
frank1

Homework Statement

I understand this BCD sum circuit. The only thing that I'm not understanding is why last full adder carry out also triggers an 6-sum in the other part of the circuit. I mean, if the nibble is not an valid BCD number, we sum six to the number. Not valid BCD numbers are 10,11,...,15. Using K-maps you simplify this list, use an OR gate and sum six to the nibble.

So, my question is: why the overflow is also a trigger to sum six to the nibble? And in the same manner, why invalid nibbles also represent carry out?

In my view, carry-out shouldn't go into that OR gate. It should that be an indicator of overflow, and OR gate would be used only by the invalid nibbles.

Homework Equations

1323_block_diagram_of_bcd_adder.png

The Attempt at a Solution

PS: sorry my english. This is not my native language.

Physics news on Phys.org
frank1 said:

Homework Statement

I understand this BCD sum circuit. The only thing that I'm not understanding is why last full adder carry out also triggers an 6-sum in the other part of the circuit. I mean, if the nibble is not an valid BCD number, we sum six to the number. Not valid BCD numbers are 10,11,...,15. Using K-maps you simplify this list, use an OR gate and sum six to the nibble.

So, my question is: why the overflow is also a trigger to sum six to the nibble? And in the same manner, why invalid nibbles also represent carry out?

In my view, carry-out shouldn't go into that OR gate. It should that be an indicator of overflow, and OR gate would be used only by the invalid nibbles.

Homework Equations

1323_block_diagram_of_bcd_adder.png

The Attempt at a Solution

PS: sorry my english. This is not my native language.
Try adding 15 + 1.

Code:
  1 1 1 1
+ 0 0 0 1
---------

Of course, we know that in straight binary, this should sum to
Code:
1 0 0 0 0

But in binary coded decimal (BCD), the "Output carry" is the 10's numeral, and the rest of the bits represent the one's numeral. In other words, it should be an output carry '1' and the rest should be a '6' to indicate 16. So the BCD result should be
Code:
1   0 1 1 0

Does that make sense?

[Edit: Of course, it appears that this particular circuit cannot output BCD numbers greater than 19]

Last edited:

What is a BCD Sum circuit using full adders?

A BCD (Binary-Coded Decimal) Sum circuit using full adders is a digital circuit that performs addition on two BCD numbers using multiple full adders. It is commonly used in electronic calculators and other digital devices that require precise and fast addition of decimal numbers.

How does a BCD Sum circuit using full adders work?

The BCD Sum circuit works by breaking down each BCD number into four binary digits (each representing a decimal digit) and then using multiple full adders to perform addition on each binary digit. The result is then converted back into a BCD number, producing the sum of the two original numbers.

What is the purpose of using full adders in a BCD Sum circuit?

Full adders are used in a BCD Sum circuit because they are able to perform addition on two binary digits as well as account for a carry input from a previous addition. This allows for precise and efficient addition of BCD numbers without the need for complex coding or additional logic gates.

Are there any limitations to using a BCD Sum circuit using full adders?

One limitation of this circuit is that it can only perform addition and not subtraction. Additionally, the circuit becomes more complex and requires more full adders as the number of decimal digits in the BCD numbers increases.

What are some common applications of BCD Sum circuits using full adders?

As mentioned earlier, BCD Sum circuits are widely used in electronic calculators and other digital devices that require precise and fast addition of decimal numbers. They are also used in financial systems, barcode scanners, and in any other application that requires the addition of BCD numbers.