Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving functions relating to condition numbers

1. Mar 23, 2017 #1
    I have a question stating to derive the functions x |-> f_1(x)=x^3 and f_2(x)=thirdrootof(x) on their domains of definition based on the asymptotic relative condition number KR = KR(f,x). I'm not sure where to start with this question, I'm not sure if I even understand it. Do I find the condition number for each of the functions?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I moved your post from the Homework section you started it in. Be advised that homework questions must use the homework template that you deleted.

Your functions are ##f_1(x) = x^3## and ##f_2(x) = \sqrt[3]{x}##. Rightclick on either of the expressions I wrote to see the LaTeX script I used.
    This wiki article discusses condition numbers -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condition_number -- see the section titled "One variable." The condition number for a nonlinear function is ##\frac {x f'(x)}{f(x)}##, so you will need to differentiate your two functions, not derive them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted