Deriving Σ sin n using Euler's formula

In summary, the conversation is about using Euler's formula and the fact that sin(x) equals the imaginary part of e^{ix} to find the sum of sin(n). The person is confused about a specific step in the solution and asks for clarification on what the "Im" part does. The other person explains that it gives the imaginary part of a complex number and provides an example of how to find the imaginary and real parts of a complex number.
DPMachine

Homework Statement

I was looking over my notes and there was a part that didn't make sense.

It's basically using the Euler's formula ([tex]e^{ix}=cos(x)+isin(x)[/tex]) and the fact that [tex]sin(x)=Im(e^{ix})[/tex] to find what Σ sin n sums to.

It starts out like this:

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} sin(n) = sin(1) + ... + sin(n)

= Im(e^{i(1)}+ ... +e^{i(n)})

[/tex]

But this part isn't relevant to my question... I'll just skip over to the part that confused me:

[tex]
= Im(e^{i(\frac{n+1}{2})}\frac{sin(n/2)}{sin(1/2)})

= \frac{sin((n+1)/2)sin(n/2))}{sin(1/2)}
[/tex]
Here, I don't understand how [tex]Im(e^{i(\frac{n+1}{2})}\frac{sin(n/2)}{sin(1/2)})[/tex]

turned into [tex]\frac{sin((n+1)/2)sin(n/2)}{sin(1/2)}[/tex]

I understand that [tex]e^{i(\frac{n+1}{2}) = cos((n+1)/2) + isin((n+1)/2)[/tex], by just applying the Euler's formula, but I still can't seem to demystify it. What does the "Im" part do?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It gives the imaginary part. E.g, if z = x + iy, Im(z) = y and Re(z) = x.

Oh wow... okay. I don't know why that was so hard to figure out. Thank you!

1. What is Euler's formula and how is it used to derive Σ sin n?

Euler's formula, also known as the Euler identity, states that for any real number x, eix = cosx + isinx. This formula can be used to express sine functions in terms of complex exponential functions, which makes it useful in deriving infinite series such as Σ sin n.

2. Why is Euler's formula used to derive Σ sin n instead of the traditional method?

The traditional method of deriving infinite series involves using trigonometric identities and manipulating the terms, but this can become complicated and time-consuming for more complex series. Euler's formula provides a more elegant and efficient way to express and manipulate sine functions, making it a preferred method for deriving infinite series involving trigonometric functions.

3. How does the use of Euler's formula simplify the derivation of Σ sin n?

By converting sine functions into complex exponential functions, Euler's formula allows us to combine terms and manipulate the series in a simpler way. This can help to reduce the number of steps required to derive the series, making the process more efficient and easier to understand.

4. Can Euler's formula be used to derive other types of infinite series?

Yes, Euler's formula can be used to derive other types of infinite series involving trigonometric functions, such as Σ cos n or Σ tan n. It can also be applied to other types of functions, such as logarithmic or exponential series.

5. What is the significance of Σ sin n and why is it often derived using Euler's formula?

Σ sin n is a special type of infinite series known as a geometric series, where each term is a constant multiple of the previous term. This series has many applications in mathematics and physics, and can be used to approximate other functions. Euler's formula is often used to derive this series because it simplifies the process and allows for more efficient manipulation of the terms.