Deriving the Focal Length of a Concave Mirror

  • Thread starter Thread starter wiz0r
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mirrors Optics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
wiz0r
Messages
56
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Ok, so my profesor asked my to prove this;

Prove that f = R/2. To prove it geometrically.

.....)
.....)
.... F ...)
_________._____)___________
......)
......)
....)

Ok, so I have that curved convave mirror, now I need to prove that f = R/2, where R is the radius of the circle, and f is the focal lenght.

The Attempt at a Solution


Um, well I can't understand why is it R/2, and not just R, I'll post whatever I'll find while doing research. But, please, can anyone help me get started? Or just explain it to, I'd be really grateful. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that your professor wants you to apply the law of reflection (and a bit of geometry) to derive the focal length of a concave mirror. That last link does it for you, but I suggest you rederive it for yourself.