An analytic expression to describe spherical aberration

In summary, the problem involves deriving an equation for the distance from the vertex to the focus of a concave mirror in terms of its radius of curvature and the angle of incidence. As the angle of incidence increases, the focus moves closer to the mirror. The solution uses the law of reflection and basic trigonometric identities to derive the equation, which is not an approximation.
Nabin kalauni

Homework Statement

Derive an analytic expression for the distance from the vertex to the focus for a particular ray in terms of (i) the radius of curvature R of the concave mirror (ii) the angle of incidence θ between incident ray and radius of the mirror. Hence show that the focus moves closer to the mirror as rays move towards the outer edge of a concave mirror.

Homework Equations

A. The law of reflection
B. Some basic trigonoteric identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I considered a ray parallel to the optic axis and a height h above the axis. The reflected ray meets the axis at a distance f from the vertex. The sketch is linked to the thread.
I could see pretty easily that θ increases as we take a ray further from the axis. As a result, the point D moves closer to the vertex. But I could not derive a mathematical expression. So I looked at the solution and they used quite a few approximations that baffled me like cos θ = ½R/(R-f). How can we get this identity from the given sketch and what approximations do we use?
view

Physics news on Phys.org
Nabin kalauni said:
So I looked at the solution and they used quite a few approximations that baffled me like cos θ = ½R/(R-f). How can we get this identity from the given sketch and what approximations do we use?
view
The equation you mentioned is not an approximation and can be derived from simple geometrical considerations. Perhaps if you posted the diagram you used, we will be able to diagnose where your problem lies.

kuruman said:
The equation you mentioned is not an approximation and can be derived from simple geometrical considerations. Perhaps if you posted the diagram you used, we will be able to diagnose where your problem lies.
I have diagnosed my problem. Thank you.

1. What is spherical aberration?

Spherical aberration is a type of optical aberration that occurs when light rays passing through a lens do not converge to a single point, resulting in a blurry or distorted image. It is caused by the spherical shape of the lens, which causes the light rays to focus at different points on the optical axis.

2. How is spherical aberration quantified?

Spherical aberration is quantified using an analytic expression, which is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the lens shape, the refractive index of the lens material, and the wavelength of light. This expression is used to calculate the amount of spherical aberration present in a lens.

3. Can spherical aberration be eliminated?

No, spherical aberration cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced by using corrective lenses or by designing lenses with more complex shapes, such as aspheric lenses. Spherical aberration can also be minimized by using shorter wavelengths of light.

4. What are the effects of spherical aberration?

The effects of spherical aberration include a decrease in image sharpness and contrast, as well as a decrease in the overall quality of the image. It can also cause color fringing and distortion in the image.

5. How is spherical aberration corrected?

Spherical aberration can be corrected by using corrective lenses, such as doublets or triplets, which combine lenses with different curvatures to cancel out the effects of spherical aberration. Aspheric lenses, which have a more complex shape, can also be used to minimize spherical aberration.