Deriving the formula for electric potential?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of electric potential and the confusion around the term "work done". The conversation also mentions the calculation of electric potential and the placement of a minus sign, as well as the direction of the integral limits. Finally, the conversation addresses how the sign of the potential is affected by the work done by the electric field and the intuition behind it.
21joanna12

Homework Statement

I'm getting really confused when it comes to electric potential. The definition I am using is 'the work done per unit charge on a small positive test charge when it is moved from infinity away to a point'. My first problem is that I'm not sure whether 'the work done' refers to the work done by the field or the work done by an external force.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My second problem is that when I am calculating it, I don;t know whether to put a minus sign in front and why/why not:

[itex]V=\frac{1}{q}\int_{\infty}^{r}\frac{kQq}{x^{2}}dx[/itex]

I don't think there should be a minus sign because there is no minus sign in the equation for force, but I'm not sure.

By third problem is that I am not sure which way the integral limits go. Since the charge is being moved from infinity away to the point, I think I have them righht but, again, I'm not sure.

When I work it out, I get

[itex]kQ\left [ \frac{-1}{x} \right ]^{r}_{\infty}=-\frac{kQ}{r}[/itex]

Which only makes sense if the equatio refers to the work done by the field because then if the point charge creating the field is negative, the field does positive work to bring the charge closer...
But this goes against my intuition because I think the potential should then be negative because the charge is getting trapped in a potential well (n the same way that the gravitational potential becomes more negative as the mass moves closer in).

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm really confused :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
21joanna12 said:

Homework Statement

I'm getting really confused when it comes to electric potential. The definition I am using is 'the work done per unit charge on a small positive test charge when it is moved from infinity away to a point'. My first problem is that I'm not sure whether 'the work done' refers to the work done by the field or the work done by an external force.

It is "the work that need to be done on a unit positive charge when it is moved from infinity to the point in question."

But I prefer the definition with the work of the electric field:
The potential at a point P is equal to the work done by the electric field while a unit positive charge moves from P to the point where the potential is zero.

21joanna12 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

My second problem is that when I am calculating it, I don;t know whether to put a minus sign in front and why/why not:

[itex]V=\frac{1}{q}\int_{\infty}^{r}\frac{kQq}{x^{2}}dx[/itex]

I don't think there should be a minus sign because there is no minus sign in the equation for force, but I'm not sure.

By third problem is that I am not sure which way the integral limits go. Since the charge is being moved from infinity away to the point, I think I have them righht but, again, I'm not sure.

When I work it out, I get

[itex]kQ\left [ \frac{-1}{x} \right ]^{r}_{\infty}=-\frac{kQ}{r}[/itex]

Which only makes sense if the equatio refers to the work done by the field because then if the point charge creating the field is negative, the field does positive work to bring the charge closer...
But this goes against my intuition because I think the potential should then be negative because the charge is getting trapped in a potential well (n the same way that the gravitational potential becomes more negative as the mass moves closer in).

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm really confused :confused:

The electric field around a point charge Q is kQ/r2 and points away from the charge if it is positive. If you bring in a test charge from infinity you have to exert force opposite to the force of the electric field.

So your work is [tex]W=\frac{1}{q}\int_{\infty}^{r}-\frac{kQq}{x^{2}}dx[/tex],
so
[tex]V=kQ\left [ \frac{1}{x} \right ]^{r}_{\infty}=\frac{kQ}{r}[/tex]

If you use the other definition, the sign in the integrand is positive, but the integration goes from r to infinity.

ehild

Likes 1 person

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of work needed to move a unit positive charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is often referred to as voltage and is measured in volts.

2. How is the formula for electric potential derived?

The formula for electric potential is derived by considering the work done by an electric field on a unit positive charge as it moves from one point to another. This work is equal to the change in potential energy, which is then divided by the charge to obtain the electric potential.

3. What are the factors that affect electric potential?

The factors that affect electric potential include the magnitude of the charge, the distance between the charges, and the type of medium in which the charges are located. Additionally, the direction of the electric field and the presence of other charges can also impact the electric potential.

4. Is the formula for electric potential universal?

Yes, the formula for electric potential is universal and applies to all types of electric fields, including those produced by point charges, parallel plates, and continuous charge distributions. It is a fundamental concept in the study of electricity and magnetism.

5. How is electric potential different from electric field?

While electric potential is a measure of the amount of work needed to move a charge through an electric field, electric field is a measure of the force experienced by a charge at a given point in space. Electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric field is a vector quantity.