Deriving the Lorentz transformations

In summary, the person has tried to derive the lorentz transformations but there is a part of it that requires substitution into two equations when t=0. They have found their answer but would like more help understanding the other ways to do it.
TobilobaEinstein
TL;DR Summary
I have tried to derive the lorentz transformations but there is a part of it that requires substitution into two equations when t=0. How do I do that
I have tried to derive the lorentz transformations but there is a part of it that requires substitution into two equations when t=0. How do I do that

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show what you have done so far. It is impossible to tell what you have done based on your vague description.

Just to add - there are many, many ways to derive the transforms depending on your starting point and familiarity with different techniques. So we need to know how you are approaching it before we can comment.

You can use LaTeX to write maths - there's a guide linked below the reply box if you don't know how it works.

Ibix said:
Just to add - there are many, many ways to derive the transforms depending on your starting point and familiarity with different techniques. So we need to know how you are approaching it before we can comment.

You can use LaTeX to write maths - there's a guide linked below the reply box if you don't know how it works.
Acacac
Ibix said:

Actually I have found my answer. But please can you explain those other ways ?

TobilobaEinstein said:
Actually I have found my answer. But please can you explain those other ways ?
Not unless we know which one you found...but as this point you’ll be better served by google. You’ll find a bunch more derivations that wAy, and if you have trouble understanding something we can help you over the hard spot.

This thread seems to be at a good stopping point so is closed.

1. What are the Lorentz transformations?

The Lorentz transformations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between space and time in Einstein's theory of special relativity. They allow us to understand how measurements of space and time change when viewed from different reference frames.

2. Why are the Lorentz transformations important?

The Lorentz transformations are important because they provide a framework for understanding the effects of motion on space and time. They are also a key component of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is essential for modern technologies such as GPS.

3. How were the Lorentz transformations derived?

The Lorentz transformations were first derived by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century. He used Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism to explain how the speed of light remains constant in all reference frames. Einstein later expanded on Lorentz's work and derived the transformations using his theory of special relativity.

4. What is the significance of the Lorentz factor in the transformations?

The Lorentz factor, denoted by the symbol γ, is a key component of the Lorentz transformations. It represents the amount by which time, length, and mass change as an object moves at high speeds. The Lorentz factor becomes infinitely large as an object approaches the speed of light, which is why it is impossible for an object with mass to reach the speed of light.

5. How are the Lorentz transformations used in practical applications?

The Lorentz transformations are used in many practical applications, such as GPS systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear reactors. They are also essential in understanding phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction, which have been confirmed by experiments and are crucial for our understanding of the universe.