Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the Phonon Dispersion Relation using Quantum-mechanical approach

1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    I'm doing a literature review on dispersion relations, and i've been told that if i can derive the phonon dispersion relation, it would help my review. So i was wondering if anybody could help me with the derivation either through Quantum-mechanical approach or Semi-classical treatment of lattice vibrations. Any reference or extra guidance would be sincerely appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2
    Ashcroft and Mermin has a nice chapter on it.

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3
    okay, thanks.. but do you have a soft copy of the book or a link where i can get it from. pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase.

5. Jul 23, 2011 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is a copyrighted book and free distribution of it is illegal and violates the rules of this forum.

This is a common topic covered in intro Solid State Physics text. If you need to do it, then you need to find such a text.

Zz.

6. Jul 23, 2011 #5
    oops.. Sorry i didn't know.

7. Jul 23, 2011 #6
    but can you help me out with an idea or something about the proof, because purchasing that book is kinda troublesome.

8. Jul 25, 2011 #7
    Wikipedia has a quite detailed article on this topic.
    Search (Google) "Phonon dispersion relations" and you'll find many detailed pages.

9. Jul 25, 2011 #8
    You don't have access to a library?

10. Jan 13, 2012 #9
    @nasu, your link to Wikipedia was very helpful, and I'm very grateful. But i was hoping you could assist me again with another project. It is the derivation of the phonon dispersion relation using classical and quantum treatment in 1d, 2d and 3d. Please any help will be sincerely appreciated, thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook