Deriving the volume of a sphere using semi-circles

In summary, the theorems of Pappus state that the volume of a revolution around an axis not intersecting the plane is equal to the area multiplied by the length of the path of the centre of mass.
FeynmanFtw
Apologies if this question has already been asked, but is it not possible to derive the formula of a sphere by imagining a circle sliced in two, then rotating this semi-circle about the flat side (imagine the flat side is stuck to a skewer) by 2Pi, so as to sum up the semi-circles to "create" the sphere?

I mean, by using the area of the semi-circle and using that to create an infinitesimally thin wedge, and summing those, surely one should arrive at the volume expression? For some reason I'm having trouble formulating the maths, unless this is not the way to go about it?

TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FF,
You mean the expression for the volume ?
What would be the volume of such a thin wedge ?
(expressed in the angle you rotate over)

FeynmanFtw said:
Apologies if this question has already been asked, but is it not possible to derive the formula of a sphere by imagining a circle sliced in two, then rotating this semi-circle about the flat side (imagine the flat side is stuck to a skewer) by 2Pi, so as to sum up the semi-circles to "create" the sphere?

I mean, by using the area of the semi-circle and using that to create an infinitesimally thin wedge, and summing those, surely one should arrive at the volume expression? For some reason I'm having trouble formulating the maths, unless this is not the way to go about it?

TIA

Theorem of Pappus: "If a plane area revolves about an axis in its plane not intersecting it, the volume of revolution is equal to the area multiplied by the lenghth of the path of its centre of mass."

Proof:

Say we are rotating about the ##x-##axis, then the centre of mass is the distance given by

##\bar{y} = lim_{\delta A \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{\sum y \delta A}{\sum \delta A}##

i.e.

##\bar{y} = \dfrac{\int y dA}{A}##

where the integral extends over the whole area.

But the volume swept out by ##\delta A## in a whole revolution ##= 2 \pi y \delta A##. As such

Volume of revolution ##= 2 \pi \int y d A = 2 \pi \bar{y} A##
= Area ##\times## length of path of centre of mass.

In order to find the centre of mass of a semi-circle use:

##\delta A = 2 r \cos \theta \delta y## and ##y = r \sin \theta##.

The answer you should get is ##\bar{y} = 4r / 3 \pi## on the radius of symmetry (##x=0##). And hence the volume of revolution is:

##{1 \over 2} \pi r^2 \times 2 \pi \cdot {4r \over 3 \pi} = {4 \over 3} \pi r^3##.

Last edited:
Likes BvU
julian said:
Theorem of Pappus: "If a plane area revolves about an axis in its plane not intersecting it, the volume of revolution is equal to the area multiplied by the lenghth of the path of its centre of mass."

Proof:

Say we are rotating about the ##x-##axis, then the centre of mass is the distance given by

##\bar{y} = lim_{\delta A \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{\sum y \delta A}{\sum \delta A}##

i.e.

##\bar{y} = \dfrac{\int y dA}{A}##

where the integral extends over the whole area.

But the volume swept out by ##\delta A## in a whole revolution ##= 2 \pi y \delta A##. As such

Volume of revolution ##= 2 \pi \int y d A = 2 \pi \bar{y} A##
= Area ##\times## length of path of centre of mass.

In order to find the centre of mass of a semi-circle use:

##\delta A = 2 r \cos \theta \delta y## and ##y = r \sin \theta##.

The answer you should get is ##\bar{y} = 4r / 3 \pi## on the radius of symmetry (##x=0##). And hence the volume of revolution is:

##{1 \over 2} \pi r^2 \times 2 \pi \cdot {4r \over 3 \pi} = {4 \over 3} \pi r^3##.

Thank you! This is brilliant!

The other theorem of Pappus applies to the area of surface of revolution of an arc:

Area of surface of revolution = Length of arc ##\times## length of path of the centre of mass of the arc.

Here's a question for you which can easily be answered by using the theorems of Pappus:

A grove of semi-circular section, radius ##b##, is cut round a cylinder of radius ##a##, find the volume removed and the area of surface of the groove.

I'll give it a go at some point over the holidays, but as I'm incredibly busy with Xmas preparations and having family over...

1. How do you derive the volume of a sphere using semi-circles?

The volume of a sphere can be derived by dividing the sphere into infinitely thin, horizontal slices. These slices can then be rearranged to form a stack of semi-circles. By finding the volume of each semi-circle and adding them together, the volume of the sphere can be determined.

2. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a sphere using semi-circles?

The formula for deriving the volume of a sphere using semi-circles is V = (4/3) * π * r^3, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. Why use semi-circles instead of other shapes to derive the volume of a sphere?

Semi-circles are used because they can be easily stacked to form a complete sphere, making the calculations simpler. Additionally, the use of semi-circles helps to visualize the concept of the volume of a sphere being formed by infinitely thin slices.

4. Can the volume of a sphere be derived using other geometric shapes?

Yes, the volume of a sphere can also be derived using other geometric shapes such as cubes, cylinders, and cones. However, the use of semi-circles is the most common method due to its simplicity and visualization.

5. How is the volume of a sphere using semi-circles related to the volume of a cylinder?

The volume of a sphere using semi-circles is exactly two thirds of the volume of a cylinder with the same radius and height. This is because a cylinder can be inscribed within a sphere, with the volume of the sphere being two thirds of the volume of the inscribed cylinder.