1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving with multiple variables

1. Sep 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm stuck at one of the derivations for relativistic energy. I've figured out every other single step, but I just can't wrap my head around this one:

Prove that:

[tex] {\frac{d}{dt}} {\frac {mu} {\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}} = {\frac {m {\frac{du} {dt}}} {(1-u^2/c^2)^{3/2}}} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    u is speed, so:

[tex] u = dx/dt [/tex]
    I don't know if that's helpful.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried everything that's in my calculus toolbox, but I guess that's not a whole lot. I know how to derive basic functions, but I just can't seem to figure out how turn this into something I can work with. It says to derive to t, but there's not even a t in the function. I know that u and t are related in a way, but substituting just leads to more trouble.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2013 #2
    Speed depends on time, u = u(t), so you just need to use the chain rule:[tex] \frac{d f(u(t))}{dt} = \frac{df}{du} \frac{du}{dt} [/tex]

4. Sep 2, 2013 #3
    Alright, I've got it now. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted