Describe bases for the span of sets

In summary: Wondering)Can you tell me more about this? (Wondering)We can check for linear independence by setting up a linear combination of the vectors and solving for the variables. If the only solution is the trivial one, then the vectors are linearly independent. In this case, we have: $$a(0,1)+b(1,-1)=(0,1)+a(1,0)+b(-1,1)=(a-b, 1-b)=0$$This means that $a=b=0$, and therefore the vectors are linearly independent. (Nod)For the span of $X_2$, we can see that it includes all points on the line
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We have the subset $X_i$ of $\mathbb{R}^2$:
$$X_1 := \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : x + y = 0\}; \\ X_2 := \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : x + y = 1\} \\
X3 := \{(x,y) \in\mathbb{R}^2 : x^2 + y^2 = 0\}; \\ X4 := \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : x^2- y^2 = 0\}$$ We want to check which of these sets $X_i$ are linear subspace of the $\mathbb{R}$-vector space $\mathbb{R}^2$ and to describe bases for the span $\langle X_i\rangle$. I have done the following:
    1. We have that the set is nonempty, since $(0,0)\in X_1$.
    2. Let $(x_1, y_1), (x_2, y_2)\in X_1$. Then we have that $x_1+y_1=0$ and $x_2+y_2=0$.

Then we get that $(x_1, y_1)+(x_2, y_2)=(x_1+ x_2, y_1+y_2)$: $$(x_1+x_2)+(y_1+y_2)=(x_1+y_1)+(x_2+y_2)=0+0=0$$ Therefore $(x_1, y_1)+(x_2, y_2)\in X_1$.
    3. Let $(x_1, y_1)\in X_1$. Then we have that $x_1+y_1=0$.

Then we get for $\alpha \in \mathbb{R}$ that $\alpha\cdot (x_1, y_1)=(\alpha x_1, \alpha y_1)$: $$\alpha x_1+\alpha y_1=\alpha \cdot (x_1+y_1)=\alpha \cdot 0=0$$ Therefore $\alpha\cdot (x_1, y_1)\in X_1$.
    So, $X_1$ is a linear subspace of $\mathbb{R}^2$.
    1. We have that the set is nonempty, since $(1,0)\in X_2$.
    2. Let $(x_1, y_1), (x_2, y_2)\in X_2$. Then we have that $x_1+y_1=1$ and $x_2+y_2=1$.

Then we get that $(x_1, y_1)+(x_2, y_2)=(x_1+ x_2, y_1+y_2)$: $$(x_1+x_2)+(y_1+y_2)=(x_1+y_1)+(x_2+y_2)=1+1=2\neq 1$$ Therefore $(x_1, y_1)+(x_2, y_2)\notin X_2$.
    So, $X_2$ is not a linear subspace of $\mathbb{R}^2$.
  • We have that $X_3=\{(x,y) \mid \mathbb{R}^2 : x^2 + y^2 = 0\}=\{(x,y) \mid \mathbb{R}^2 : x=y= 0\}=\{(0,0)\}$.
    Therefore, we get the following:
    1. We have that the set is nonempty, since $(0,0)\in X_3$.
    2. W have for $\alpha \in \mathbb{R}$ that $\alpha\cdot (0,0)=(\alpha \cdot 0, \alpha \cdot 0)=(0,0)$. Therefore $\alpha\cdot (0,0)\in X_3$.
    So, $X_3$ is a linear subspace of $\mathbb{R}^2$.
    1. We have that the set is nonempty, since $(0,0)\in X_4$.
    2. Let $(x_1, y_1), (x_2, y_2)\in X_2$. Then we have that $x_1=\pm y_1$ and $x_2=\pm y_2$.

Then we get that $(x_1, y_1)+(x_2, y_2)=(x_1+ x_2, y_1+y_2)$: $$(x_1+x_2)^2-(y_1+y_2)^2=x_1^2+2x_1x_2+x_2^2-y_1^2-2y_1y_2-y_2^2 \ \overset{x_1^2-y_1^2=x_2^2-y_2^2=0}{=} \ 2x_1x_2-2y_1y_2$$ If $x_1=-y_1$ and $x_2=y_2$ we get $-4y_1y_2$ which is not necessarily equal to $0$. Therefore $(x_1, y_1)+(x_2, y_2)\notin X_4$.
    So, $X_4$ is not a linear subspace of $\mathbb{R}^2$.

Is everything correct? Could I improve something? (Wondering)

Could you give me a hint how we can describe bases for the span $\langle X_i\rangle$ ? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Is everything correct? Could I improve something?

Hi mathmari!

It looks fine to me. (Nod)
Shouldn't we have closure for addition for $X_3$ though?

mathmari said:
Could you give me a hint how we can describe bases for the span $\langle X_i\rangle$ ?

Can we find a non-zero vector in each of the linear subspaces? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
It looks fine to me. (Nod)
Shouldn't we have closure for addition for $X_3$ though?

To show the closure of addition do we take twice the element $(0,0)$. i.e. do we do the following?
We have that $(0,0)+(0,0)=(0,0)\in X_3$.

(Wondering)
I like Serena said:
Can we find a non-zero vector in each of the linear subspaces? (Wondering)

Do we have to find a basis only for these sets that we have shown that they are a linear subspace of $\mathbb{R}^2$ ?

If we consider all the sets, do we take the following non-zero vector?

$$X_1 \ :
(x, y)=(x, -x)=x\cdot (1,-1); \\ X_2\ :\ (x,y)=(x,1-x)=(0,1)+x\cdot (1,-1) \\
X3 \ :\ (0,0);$$ Is everything correct? What about $X_4$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
To show the closure of addition do we take twice the element $(0,0)$. i.e. do we do the following?
We have that $(0,0)+(0,0)=(0,0)\in X_3$.

Yep. (Nod)

mathmari said:
Do we have to find a basis only for these sets that we have shown that they are a linear subspace of $\mathbb{R}^2$ ?

If it's not a linear subspace no basis will do, so indeed, we only look at the linear subspaces. (Nerd)

mathmari said:
If we consider all the sets, do we take the following non-zero vector?

$$X_1 \ :
(x, y)=(x, -x)=x\cdot (1,-1); \\ X_2\ :\ (x,y)=(x,1-x)=(0,1)+x\cdot (1,-1) \\
X3 \ :\ (0,0);$$ Is everything correct? What about $X_4$ ? (Wondering)

$X_2$ and $X_4$ are not linear subspaces, so no basis can do the job. That is, if we try to span the subspace with the basis we will fail.
We found a non-zero vector in $X_1$. Good! Does it span the whole space?
The vector we have in $X_3$ is not a non-zero vector, so it's not part of a basis. Instead we have a subspace that contains only the zero vector. The corresponding basis is the empty basis. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
If it's not a linear subspace no basis will do, so indeed, we only look at the linear subspaces. (Nerd)

Doesn't it hold that the span of every non-empty set is a subspace? (Wondering)

So, every $\langle X_i\rangle$ for $i=1,2,3,4$ is a linear subspace and so it has a basis, or not? (Wondering)

We have the following:
\begin{align*}X_1 :&= \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : x + y = 0\}=\{(x,-x)\mid x\in \mathbb{R}\}=\{x\cdot (1,-1)\mid x\in \mathbb{R}\} \\ X_2 :&= \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : x + y = 1\}=\{(x, 1-x)\mid x\in \mathbb{R}\}=\{(0,1)+x\cdot (1, -1)\mid x\in \mathbb{R}\} \\
X3 :&= \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : x^2 + y^2 = 0\}=\{(0,0)\} \\ X4 :&= \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : x^2- y^2 = 0\}\end{align*}

But how are the spans of these sets look like? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Doesn't it hold that the span of every non-empty set is a subspace?

Yes. (Nod)

mathmari said:
So, every $\langle X_i\rangle$ for $i=1,2,3,4$ is a linear subspace and so it has a basis, or not?

Yes.

mathmari said:
We have the following:
\begin{align*}X_1 :&= \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : x + y = 0\}=\{(x,-x)\mid x\in \mathbb{R}\}=\{x\cdot (1,-1)\mid x\in \mathbb{R}\} \\ X_2 :&= \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : x + y = 1\}=\{(x, 1-x)\mid x\in \mathbb{R}\}=\{(0,1)+x\cdot (1, -1)\mid x\in \mathbb{R}\} \\
X3 :&= \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : x^2 + y^2 = 0\}=\{(0,0)\} \\ X4 :&= \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : x^2- y^2 = 0\}\end{align*}

But how are the spans of these sets look like? (Wondering)

$X_1$ is a linear subspace with basis $\{(1,-1)\}$.
The span is the set of all linear combinations of its vectors, which in this case is just $X_1$.

$X_2$ has (0,1) and (1,0) in it. The set of all linear combinations of those 2 vectors is $\mathbb R^2$.
Btw, $X_2$ is a so called affine space.

$X_3$ is a trivial subspace as it contains only the zero vector.

$X_4$ has (1,1) and (1,-1) in it. So just like $X_2$ its span is $\mathbb R^2$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
$X_1$ is a linear subspace with basis $\{(1,-1)\}$.
The span is the set of all linear combinations of its vectors, which in this case is just $X_1$.

$X_2$ has (0,1) and (1,0) in it. The set of all linear combinations of those 2 vectors is $\mathbb R^2$.
Btw, $X_2$ is a so called affine space.

$X_3$ is a trivial subspace as it contains only the zero vector.

$X_4$ has (1,1) and (1,-1) in it. So just like $X_2$ its span is $\mathbb R^2$. (Thinking)
So, do we have the following?

A basis of $\langle X_1\rangle$ is $\{(1,-1)\}$.

A basis of $\langle X_2\rangle$ is $\{(1,0), (0,1)\}$.

The basis of $\langle X_3\rangle$ is the empty set.

A basis of $\langle X_4\rangle$ is $\{(1,0), (0,1)\}$.

(Wondering)

Yep. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. (Nod)

Ok! Thank you! (Yes)

What are bases for the span of sets?

The bases for the span of sets are a set of vectors that can be used to create any vector within a given set. They are the building blocks for creating linear combinations of vectors.

How do bases affect the span of sets?

The number of vectors in a base set determines the dimension of the vector space. The more vectors in a base set, the higher the dimension of the vector space and the larger the possible span of the set.

Can the same set of vectors have multiple bases?

Yes, a set of vectors can have multiple bases. This is because there can be different combinations of vectors that can create the same span. However, all bases for a given span will have the same number of vectors.

What is the importance of bases in linear algebra?

Bases are crucial in linear algebra because they provide a way to represent higher-dimensional spaces and simplify calculations. They also allow for the representation of linear transformations and the ability to solve systems of linear equations.

How do you find bases for a given span of sets?

To find bases for a given span of sets, one can use the Gram-Schmidt process or Gaussian elimination to reduce the set of vectors to a set of linearly independent vectors. These linearly independent vectors can then be used as the basis for the span of the set.