1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describe command word in questions

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    "Describe" command word in questions

I always find it a bit vague when a question tells me to "Describe".

For example "Describe the kernel of [itex]\phi[/itex]". Does this just mean find it?

If you see the word "Hence" it means use the previous result.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: "Describe" command word in questions

What do you mean when you "find" the kernel? "Describe the kernel" suggests to me that you are meant to find a basis for the kernel, and this basis completely characterizes the kernel.

"Hence" means that the next statement follows from the previous statement. I don't see any difference between "hence," "ergo," or "therefor."

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3

Well the question I'm referring to is (in the context of lie algebras but similar for linear algebra): 'describe the kernel of the canonical homomorphism [itex]\phi : \mathfrak{g} \to \mathfrak{g} / \mathfrak{h}[/itex]' defined by [itex]\phi (x)=x+\mathfrak{h}[/itex] for all [itex]x\in\mathfrak{g}[/itex] where [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex] is any lie algebra (vector space with some additional properties) and [itex]\mathfrak{h}[/itex] is an ideal (subspace with some additional properties) of [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex].

I've found that [itex]\text{Ker}( \phi ) = \mathfrak{h}[/itex] but how would I present a basis?

What I mean by finding the kernel is using the definition [itex]\{ v\in V : \phi v)=0 \}[/itex]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  5. Oct 21, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I was thinking vector spaces when you asked the question (and there wasn't any context to let me know you weren't talking about vector spaces).
    This is just the definition of the kernel, so you haven't really found anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook