Universal Mapping Property of Free Groups: Definition and Proof

In summary, the theorem states that there is a unique homomorphism from the free group on letters to the group.
fishturtle1
Homework Statement
I'm confused about my notes about free groups, looking for help to understanding them.
Relevant Equations
will put definitions below
Let ##S = \lbrace a, b \rbrace## and define ##F_S## to be the free group, i.e. the set of reduced words of ##\lbrace a, b \rbrace## with the operation concatenation. We then have the universal mapping property: Let ##\phi : S \rightarrow F_S## defined as ##s \mapsto s## and suppose ##\theta : S \rightarrow G## is any function where ##G## is a group. Then there exists unique homomorphism ##f : F_S \rightarrow G## such that ##\theta = f \circ \phi##. For example, ##f(aba^{-1}) = f(a)(f(b)f(a)^{-1} = \theta(a)\theta(b)\theta(a)^{-1}##.

My question is, where does ##f## come from? It just seems like there is some step that I am missing to get ##f## in the first place?

Physics news on Phys.org
This theorem just says that any map ##\theta## assigning letters to elements of a group ##G##, extends uniquely to a morphism ##f## on the free group on these letters to ##G##.

This is what one uses when one says: 'A homomorphism of groups is determined completely if you specify the images of the generators' (and in the image the relations that the generators satisfy must also be satisfied, but this is superfluous here because there are no relations between the letters that generate the free group).

So, to be concrete. Consider any group ##G##. Fix two elements ##g,h \in G## and consider the map ##\theta## by

$$a \mapsto g, b \mapsto h$$

The theorem says that there is a unique group morphism

$$F_S = \langle a ,b \rangle \to G$$

satisfying ##a \mapsto g, b \mapsto h##.

Math_QED said:
This theorem just says that any map ##\theta## assigning letters to elements of a group ##G##, extends uniquely to a morphism ##f## on the free group on these letters to ##G##.

This is what one uses when one says: 'A homomorphism of groups is determined completely if you specify the images of the generators' (and in the image the relations that the generators satisfy must also be satisfied, but this is superfluous here because there are no relations between the letters that generate the free group).
Ok thank you. And so ##f## is defined to be a homomorphism from the beginning?

fishturtle1 said:
Ok thank you. And so ##f## is defined to be a homomorphism from the beginning?

I edited my previous post to make it more concrete. But the theorem says that ##f## must be a homomorphism. The map ##\theta## does NOT have be a homomorphism.

Likes fishturtle1
Math_QED said:
I edited my previous post to make it more concrete. But the theorem says that ##f## must be a homomorphism. The map ##\theta## does NOT have be a homomorphism.
I think that makes sense, I'm going to try some problems.

1. What is the Universal Mapping Property of Free Groups?

The Universal Mapping Property of Free Groups is a fundamental concept in group theory that characterizes free groups as the "most general" groups with a given set of generators. It states that any map from the generators of a free group to a group G can be extended to a unique homomorphism from the entire free group to G.

2. How is the Universal Mapping Property of Free Groups used?

The Universal Mapping Property is used to prove many important results in group theory, such as the Nielsen-Schreier Theorem and the Higman-Neumann-Neumann Embedding Theorem. It is also used to construct free groups and to show that certain groups are not free.

3. What is the proof for the Universal Mapping Property of Free Groups?

The proof for the Universal Mapping Property involves constructing a homomorphism from the free group to the target group, using the map from the generators and extending it to the entire free group. This proof relies on the fact that free groups are the "most general" groups with a given set of generators, meaning that any other group with the same generators can be obtained by imposing additional relations.

4. Are there any applications for the Universal Mapping Property of Free Groups?

Yes, the Universal Mapping Property has many applications in algebraic topology, algebraic geometry, and other branches of mathematics. It is also used in computer science and physics, particularly in the study of symmetry and symmetry breaking.

5. Is the Universal Mapping Property of Free Groups unique to free groups?

No, the Universal Mapping Property is not unique to free groups. It is a general property of universal objects in category theory, meaning that it applies to other algebraic structures as well. However, it is most commonly associated with free groups due to their important role in group theory.