Describe the gradient of a function of 3 variables

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
kosovo dave
Gold Member
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Match the function with the description of its gradient.

Homework Equations


f(x,y,z)=√(x^2+y^2+z^2)
1. constant, parallel to xy plane
2. constant, parallel to xz plane
3. constant, parallel to yz plane
4. radial, increasing in magnitude away from the origin
5. radial, constant magnitude
6. radial, decreasing in magnitude away from origin

The Attempt at a Solution


grad f(x,y,z)=(df/dx)i+(df/dy)j+(df/dz)k
grad f=[(x^2+y^2+z^2)^-.5](xi+yj+zk)

I know it's definitely radial. I found a solution online that said the magnitude was constant though, and I can't tell why.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kosovo dave said:

Homework Statement



Match the function with the description of its gradient.

Homework Equations


f(x,y,z)=√(x^2+y^2+z^2)
1. constant, parallel to xy plane
2. constant, parallel to xz plane
3. constant, parallel to yz plane
4. radial, increasing in magnitude away from the origin
5. radial, constant magnitude
6. radial, decreasing in magnitude away from origin

The Attempt at a Solution


grad f(x,y,z)=(df/dx)i+(df/dy)j+(df/dz)k
grad f=[(x^2+y^2+z^2)^-.5](xi+yj+zk)

I know it's definitely radial. I found a solution online that said the magnitude was constant though, and I can't tell why.

Well, what is the magnitude of the grad f you computed? What the magnitude of (xi+yj+zk)?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Oh I think I get it now. I'd end up with sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)/sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2) just leaving the vector i+j+k?
 
kosovo dave said:
Oh I think I get it now. I'd end up with sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)/sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2) just leaving the vector i+j+k?

Almost, you want to find |grad f|. You replaced the vector with its magnitude. You are left with just 1.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Clear as the Mississippi! Just kidding. I get it now. Thanks for the help, Dick!