1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient and finding the direction of maximum rate of change

1. Mar 28, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys, it a very simple question, but it causing me a great deal of confusion. The questions are as follows:

upload_2017-3-28_10-58-20.png
    So I worked out the ans for one which I have displayed below. But what I don't understand is what they want from the second question. Because the way I see it, the direction of maximum rate of change is the gradient itself. Am I missing something here because I am really lost.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1: ##\nabla f=\frac{-xi}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^3} -\frac{yj}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^3}-\frac{zk}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^3}##

##\nabla f = le^{lx+my+nz}i+me^{lx+my+nz}j+ne^{lx+my+nz}k##

2: I make the direction as follows: ##(-xi-yj-zk)## & ##li+mj+nk##

Is this correct or have I miss understood the question?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check the exponent in the denominator in the first f in part 1).
    For part 2: I agree with you : ##-\bf\hat r## and ##(l,m,n)##.

[edit] perhaps for 'direction' the exercise composer wants to see ##\bf \hat r## ?

4. Mar 28, 2017 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The direction of maximum rate of change is the direction of the gradient. That generally means a unit vector,

5. Mar 28, 2017 #4
    Thank you I did not put the 3/2 in thanks.

6. Mar 28, 2017 #5
    when u say unit vector you mean ##\frac{\nabla f}{|\nabla f|}##?

7. Mar 28, 2017 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In this case, yes. If you look at the difference between the gradient and the direction if the gradient for the second function - the exponential - you'll see the point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted