Gradient and finding the direction of maximum rate of change

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Taylor_1989
Messages
400
Reaction score
14

Homework Statement


Hi guys, it a very simple question, but it causing me a great deal of confusion. The questions are as follows:

upload_2017-3-28_10-58-20.png

So I worked out the ans for one which I have displayed below. But what I don't understand is what they want from the second question. Because the way I see it, the direction of maximum rate of change is the gradient itself. Am I missing something here because I am really lost.

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution


1: ##\nabla f=\frac{-xi}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^3} -\frac{yj}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^3}-\frac{zk}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^3}##

##\nabla f = le^{lx+my+nz}i+me^{lx+my+nz}j+ne^{lx+my+nz}k##

2: I make the direction as follows: ##(-xi-yj-zk)## & ##li+mj+nk##

Is this correct or have I miss understood the question?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the exponent in the denominator in the first f in part 1).
For part 2: I agree with you : ##-\bf\hat r## and ##(l,m,n)##.

[edit] perhaps for 'direction' the exercise composer wants to see ##\bf \hat r## ?
 
Taylor_1989 said:
But what I don't understand is what they want from the second question. Because the way I see it, the direction of maximum rate of change is the gradient itself.

?

The direction of maximum rate of change is the direction of the gradient. That generally means a unit vector,
 
BvU said:
Check the exponent in the denominator in the first f in part 1).
For part 2: I agree with you : ##-\bf\hat r## and ##(l,m,n)##.

[edit] perhaps for 'direction' the exercise composer wants to see ##\bf \hat r## ?
Thank you I did not put the 3/2 in thanks.
 
PeroK said:
The direction of maximum rate of change is the direction of the gradient. That generally means a unit vector,

when u say unit vector you mean ##\frac{\nabla f}{|\nabla f|}##?
 
Taylor_1989 said:
when u say unit vector you mean ##\frac{\nabla f}{|\nabla f|}##?

In this case, yes. If you look at the difference between the gradient and the direction if the gradient for the second function - the exponential - you'll see the point.