1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describing closures and interiors of subsets of Moore Plane

1. Aug 13, 2014 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.

Let ##X=\{(x,y) \in \mathbb R^2 :y \geq 0\}##. If ##p=(x,y)## with ##y>0##, let

##\mathcal F_p=\{B_r(p) : 0<r<y\}##, and if ##p=(x,0)##, let ##\mathcal F_p=\{B_r(x,r) \cup \{p\}: 0<r\}##.

Then, there is a neighbourhood filter system generated on ##X## and if ##\tau=\{A \in \mathcal P(X): \forall x\in A, A \in F_p\} \cup \{\emptyset\}##, then ##(X,\tau)## is a topological space called the Moore plane. Describe the closured and interiors of the subsets of ##X##.

I am having a hard time solving this exercise. I don't know where to start the exercise, should I separate in cases? I've tried to look at the cases ##A## open, ##A## closed but I couldn't do anything. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2014 #2
    (a) I believe the definition of ##\tau## should be ##\tau=\{A \in \mathcal P(X): \forall x\in A, A \in \mathcal F_x\} \cup \{\emptyset\}## or perhaps ##\tau=\{A \in \mathcal P(X): \forall p\in A, A \in \mathcal F_p\} \cup \{\emptyset\}##, but that's just a minor quibble.

(b) Regardless I disagree with the claim that ##\tau## is a topology on ##X##. It's clear (?) that the families ##\mathcal F_p## are collections of discs or (mostly) half-discs depending on whether ##p## is in the upper half-plane or on the ##x##-axis. That means that most all of the ##A\in\tau## are discs and half-discs (and those that aren't are singletons on the ##x##-axis). It's not too difficult to see that his collection is not closed under intersections.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted