Describing Set of Complex Numbers for which This Converges

In summary, the set of all z \in \mathbb{C} such that the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (1-z^2)^n converges is the interior of the lemniscate \lbrace z\in \mathbb{C} \: | \: \vert z \vert^2 < 2 \cos(2 \theta) \rbrace.
Newtime

Homework Statement

Describe the set of all [tex]z \in \mathbb{C}[/tex] such that the series [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (1-z^2)^n[/tex] converges

Homework Equations

Basic analytic techniques.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is from a graduate complex analysis class, and I just have a feeling my answer is too obvious to be correct...

Basically, I used the necessary condition that the the sequence given by [tex]a_n = |(1-z^2)^n| [/tex] must tend to 0 as n tends to infinity. In other words, we know the modulus of the terms must go to zero. Then, viewing the series as a geometric series, [tex]|(1-z^2)| < 1[/tex]. From there it was a few simple steps to conclude the set is [tex]\lbrace z\in \mathbb{C} \: | \: 0<|z|<2 \rbrace [/tex].

Even as I read over this, it makes sense. But like I said, it's much too simple to be correct...what am I forgetting here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your 'simple steps' are wrong. Whatever they are. |(1-z^2)|<1 looks ok. 0<|z|<2 doesn't. z=3/2 doesn't converge. z=i doesn't converge. I'd write z in polar form and try that again.

The reasoning described for determining the conditions necessary is missing a detail as well. Just because an goes to zero does not mean that the series will converge necessarily. It only works in this case specifically because we have a geometric series (and you can write out an explicit solution for the partial sums to see that it does converge)

Ah of course! A silly mistake...thanks for pointing it out.

Newtime said:
Ah of course! A silly mistake...thanks for pointing it out.

Actually, it wasn't a silly mistake. Upon revisiting this problem, for some reason I'm not seeing the answer. Where should I go after [tex]\vert 1-z^2\vert<1 \leftrightarrow\vert 1- r^2e^{2i\theta} \vert < 1[/tex]? I've tried using the triangle inequality and I've also tried expanding into sine's and cosine's to no avail. I know this must have some relatively simple trick, but I don't know what...a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Newtime said:
Actually, it wasn't a silly mistake. Upon revisiting this problem, for some reason I'm not seeing the answer. Where should I go after [tex]\vert 1-z^2\vert<1 \equiv \vert 1- r^2e^{2i\theta} \vert < 1[/tex]? I've tried using the triangle inequality and I've also tried expanding into sine's and cosine's to no avail. I know this must have some relatively simple trick, but I don't know what...a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

[tex] -1 < 1- z^{2} < 1[/tex]
[tex] -2 < -z^{2} < 0[/tex]
[tex] 0 <z^{2} < 2[/tex]
[tex] 0< \left|z^{2} \right| = \left|z \right|^{2} < 2[/tex]

Can you complete it ?

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
[tex] -1 < 1- z^{2} < 1[/tex]
[tex] -2 < -z^{2} < 0[/tex]
[tex] 0 <z^{2} < 2[/tex]
[tex] 0< \left|z^{2} \right| = \left|z \right|^{2} < 2[/tex]

Can you complete it ?

Well your last line implies [tex]\vert z \vert < \sqrt{2} [/tex] but how can we get from [tex]\vert 1-z^2 \vert <1 [/tex] to [tex] -1 < 1-z^2 <1[/tex]? The modulus of complex numbers and the absolute value of real numbers do not share this property.

Newtime said:
Well your last line implies [tex]\vert z \vert < \sqrt{2} [/tex] but how can we get from [tex]\vert 1-z^2 \vert <1 [/tex] to [tex] -1 < 1-z^2 <1[/tex]? The modulus of complex numbers and the absolute value of real numbers do not share this property.

You are quite right about that. Write z=r*exp(i*theta) and try to write out what |1-z^2|<1 means in terms of r and theta.

Newtime said:
I need to stop browsing for the day. I am posting nonsense. Please, forgive my incorrect solution.

I do not know what possessed me to make such a claim.

I was even ordering complex numbers .

Dick said:
You are quite right about that. Write z=r*exp(i*theta) and try to write out what |1-z^2|<1 means in terms of r and theta.

Right. So I have [tex]\vert 1-r^2e^{2i\theta} \vert < 1[/tex]. This is where I get stuck. In real calculus one can easily get rid of those pesky vertical bars, but here, I don't know where to go. Like I said above, I've tried invoking the triangle inequality but I come to something which doesn't help since it is a lower bound. I've also tried expanding the inside of the modulus into sine's and cosine's but that gets messier, then a little nicer, then messier.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
I need to stop browsing for the day. I am posting nonsense. Please, forgive my incorrect solution.

I do not know what possessed me to make such a claim.

I was even ordering complex numbers .

Don't worry about it; I appreciate your help. And after all, it's almost the same error I made to begin with!

Newtime said:
Right. So I have [tex]\vert 1-r^2e^{2i\theta} \vert < 1[/tex]. This is where I get stuck. In real calculus one can easily get rid of those pesky vertical bars, but here, I don't know where to go. Like I said above, I've tried invoking the triangle inequality but I come to something which doesn't help since it is a lower bound. I've also tried expanding the inside of the modulus into sine's and cosine's but that gets messier, then a little nicer, then messier.

Yes, expand the inside in terms of sin's and cos's. You want to use that if a and b are real then |a+bi|=sqrt(a^2+b^2).

Having solved the problem (finally), I see now my main (very, very silly) mistake: [tex]r^2e^{2i\theta} = r^2e^{i(2\theta)} = r^2(cos(2\theta) + isin(2\theta)) \neq r^2(cos^2(\theta) + isin^2(\theta))[/tex] which is the expansion I had been doing. So, it turns out the set is the interior of a lemniscate whose equation is immediate upon *properly* expanding into sine's and cosine's. Thanks for the help everyone.

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that consists of both a real part and an imaginary part, and it is expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

What does it mean for a set of complex numbers to converge?

A set of complex numbers converges if the sequence of complex numbers within the set approaches a specific value as the sequence progresses towards infinity. In other words, the numbers in the set get closer and closer to a certain value as more terms are added to the sequence.

How do you describe a set of complex numbers for which this converges?

To describe a set of complex numbers for which this converges, you can use the notation {zn}, where z is a complex number and n is the number of terms in the sequence. You can also express it in the form of a limit, such as limn→∞ zn = a, where a is the value that the sequence approaches as n goes to infinity.

What are some examples of sets of complex numbers that converge?

One example of a set of complex numbers that converges is {1, (1+i), (1+i)^2, (1+i)^3, ...}, which approaches 0 as n goes to infinity. Another example is {i, i^2, i^3, i^4, ...}, which approaches 1 as n goes to infinity.

How can understanding converging sets of complex numbers be useful in science?

Understanding converging sets of complex numbers is useful in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to model and predict the behavior of complex systems and phenomena, and it is also essential in solving equations and problems involving complex numbers.