1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describing Set of Complex Numbers for which This Converges

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Describe the set of all [tex]z \in \mathbb{C}[/tex] such that the series [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (1-z^2)^n[/tex] converges

2. Relevant equations

Basic analytic techniques.

3. The attempt at a solution

This is from a graduate complex analysis class, and I just have a feeling my answer is too obvious to be correct...

Basically, I used the necessary condition that the the sequence given by [tex]a_n = |(1-z^2)^n| [/tex] must tend to 0 as n tends to infinity. In other words, we know the modulus of the terms must go to zero. Then, viewing the series as a geometric series, [tex]|(1-z^2)| < 1[/tex]. From there it was a few simple steps to conclude the set is [tex]\lbrace z\in \mathbb{C} \: | \: 0<|z|<2 \rbrace [/tex].

Even as I read over this, it makes sense. But like I said, it's much too simple to be correct...what am I forgetting here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your 'simple steps' are wrong. Whatever they are. |(1-z^2)|<1 looks ok. 0<|z|<2 doesn't. z=3/2 doesn't converge. z=i doesn't converge. I'd write z in polar form and try that again.
  4. Sep 16, 2010 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The reasoning described for determining the conditions necessary is missing a detail as well. Just because an goes to zero does not mean that the series will converge necessarily. It only works in this case specifically because we have a geometric series (and you can write out an explicit solution for the partial sums to see that it does converge)
  5. Sep 16, 2010 #4
    Ah of course! A silly mistake...thanks for pointing it out.
  6. Sep 19, 2010 #5
    Actually, it wasn't a silly mistake. Upon revisiting this problem, for some reason I'm not seeing the answer. Where should I go after [tex]\vert 1-z^2\vert<1 \leftrightarrow\vert 1- r^2e^{2i\theta} \vert < 1[/tex]? I've tried using the triangle inequality and I've also tried expanding into sine's and cosine's to no avail. I know this must have some relatively simple trick, but I don't know what...a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
  7. Sep 19, 2010 #6
    [tex] -1 < 1- z^{2} < 1[/tex]
    [tex] -2 < -z^{2} < 0[/tex]
    [tex] 0 <z^{2} < 2[/tex]
    [tex] 0< \left|z^{2} \right| = \left|z \right|^{2} < 2[/tex]

Can you complete it ?
  8. Sep 19, 2010 #7
    Well your last line implies [tex]\vert z \vert < \sqrt{2} [/tex] but how can we get from [tex]\vert 1-z^2 \vert <1 [/tex] to [tex] -1 < 1-z^2 <1[/tex]? The modulus of complex numbers and the absolute value of real numbers do not share this property.
  9. Sep 19, 2010 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are quite right about that. Write z=r*exp(i*theta) and try to write out what |1-z^2|<1 means in terms of r and theta.
  10. Sep 19, 2010 #9
    I need to stop browsing for the day. I am posting nonsense. Please, forgive my incorrect solution.

I do not know what possessed me to make such a claim.

I was even ordering complex numbers :surprised.
  11. Sep 20, 2010 #10
    Right. So I have [tex]\vert 1-r^2e^{2i\theta} \vert < 1[/tex]. This is where I get stuck. In real calculus one can easily get rid of those pesky vertical bars, but here, I don't know where to go. Like I said above, I've tried invoking the triangle inequality but I come to something which doesn't help since it is a lower bound. I've also tried expanding the inside of the modulus into sine's and cosine's but that gets messier, then a little nicer, then messier.
  12. Sep 20, 2010 #11
    Don't worry about it; I appreciate your help. And after all, it's almost the same error I made to begin with!
  13. Sep 20, 2010 #12

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, expand the inside in terms of sin's and cos's. You want to use that if a and b are real then |a+bi|=sqrt(a^2+b^2).
  14. Sep 21, 2010 #13
    Having solved the problem (finally), I see now my main (very, very silly) mistake: [tex]r^2e^{2i\theta} = r^2e^{i(2\theta)} = r^2(cos(2\theta) + isin(2\theta)) \neq r^2(cos^2(\theta) + isin^2(\theta))[/tex] which is the expansion I had been doing. So, it turns out the set is the interior of a lemniscate whose equation is immediate upon *properly* expanding into sine's and cosine's. Thanks for the help everyone.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook