Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Description of magnetic field in black holes

1. May 22, 2008 #1

Given a Schwarzschild BH. A neutron fall into the BH. The neutron having non zero magnetic moment will carry a magnetic field B with it.
    How do I describe the new system, on which parameters will the metric depend?
    In term of classical GR, Kerr Newman solution provides a B in term of
    the charge Q and angular momentum J (and the no hair theorem is satisfied).
    I see a paradox might emerge.
    1) If the B from the added neutron can be described as a Kerr Newman solution, then I don't know how to explain charge conservation. For both the initial systems schwarzschild BH and neutron, Q is zero.
    2) If I have instead a solution for the metric with zero Q and J, the metric will have to depend on the intrinsic magnetic moment. This would violate the no hair theorem

Another way to state the problem is the following. Consider a macroscopic neutral magnet. Somehow it shirks to form a BH. Again, which will be the parameter in the metric?
    If Q and J, then I cannot explain Q conservation.
    If the magnetic moment, then no hair theorem is violated.

I have been thinking about this for a while, maybe classical GR is not enough.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2
    The no-hair theorem is actually a family of no-hair theorems, one for each set of fields that you are considering. So the Kerr case has to do with gravity coupled to the electromagnetic field.

I don't think there's a classical field that gives rise to the neutron's spin (whereas the electron's Dirac field has spin, the neutron is a composite object). You could probably force one out and maybe the no-hair theorem would apply to that. But I think your final conclusion is probably correct.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?