Description of physical system help

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in describing a part of a Rube Goldberg machine, specifically two vertical "levers" with axles in the middle. The person is unsure of what term to use to describe these objects, and is struggling to find the proper formulas to calculate energy, velocity, and force for this part. They are seeking help or guidance in identifying the correct term and finding resources to assist in their description.
Edemardil
This is not homework related and I am having some trouble with describing a part of a system. It is a Rube Goldberg machine. I have two vertical "levers" with axles in the middle of them. I'll post photos. I am really having trouble describing them more or less because I don't know what a good description of the objects them selves are. Are they levers? Latches? Hinges? Pendulums? This is keeping me from really describing them quantitatively because I am having trouble finding the right formulas for transferring energy, velocity, force all that, through that part.

Could someone help me or vaguely lead me to a direction to look for both items?

It is the yellow vertical poles that I am talking about.

Link to images: https://imgur.com/a/WZ04zCR

0uLMTAM

2Oylsy7

Physics news on Phys.org
From their action/usage, 'lever' would be the correct term.

Reasoning:
They have a point about which they pivot, an applied force and distance, and a resultant force and distance.

Cheers,
Tom

1. What is a physical system?

A physical system is a collection of objects or components that interact with each other in order to achieve a specific goal or function. It can be a simple system, such as a pendulum, or a complex system, such as the human body.

2. What is the purpose of describing a physical system?

The purpose of describing a physical system is to gain a better understanding of how the system works, how its components interact with each other, and how it can be improved or optimized. This information can also be used to predict the behavior of the system under different conditions.

3. What are the key elements of a physical system description?

The key elements of a physical system description include the components or objects that make up the system, the interactions between these components, the boundary or environment of the system, and the inputs and outputs of the system.

4. How do scientists describe the behavior of a physical system?

Scientists use mathematical models and equations to describe the behavior of a physical system. These models can be based on known physical laws and principles, and can be used to make predictions about the system's behavior.

5. Why is it important to accurately describe a physical system?

Accurately describing a physical system is important because it allows scientists to understand how the system works and how it can be improved or optimized. This information can also be used to design new systems or solve problems related to the system's behavior.