• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Design a go kart braking system

• Engineering
  • Thread starter moebot
  • Start date

Homework Statement:

my assignment is that we should design a go kart braking system

Homework Equations:

shaft design calculations
i have been stuck on this question from my assignment, i have tried solving it in many ways, but apparently i am either bad at this or i just don't understand the question haha.

* As a prudent engineer, the main shaft is now subjected to loading condition when only
brake is applied. Show with calculation that the existing main shaft size is safe when braking
torque is applied. You should include a sketch showing all forces, loads and torques that are
acting on the main shaft complete with dimensions.

i have the main shaft size, i just didn't really understand how to use it, and how to prove that it is safe.

excuse my incompetence but i really tried my best

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Homework Statement:: my assignment is that we should design a go kart braking system
Homework Equations:: shaft design calculations

i really tried my best
Can you show us what you tried? Also, what are the relevant equations? Can you show us your FBD for the axle/wheel/brake system?

Can you show us what you tried? Also, what are the relevant equations? Can you show us your FBD for the axle/wheel/brake system?
That's the thing i haven't able to get a hold of how to start.

Attachments

berkeman
Mentor
I interpreted the question asking about the torques on the axle in the coaxial direction, but your sketch shows a side view of the axle with just chassis and tire forces causing bending moments? What is the question asking about?

I interpreted the question asking about the torques on the axle in the coaxial direction, but your sketch shows a side view of the axle with just chassis and tire forces causing bending moments? What is the question asking about?

basically the entire assignment was asking us to design a braking system for a go kart, in the particular question they're asking us to find our if our main shaft size obtained is safe enough when braking is applied

berkeman
Mentor
Safe enough for what? For not breaking in torsion? Or not bending and buckling under the nose dive loading on the axle? Are you using disk or drum brakes? If disk brakes, how is the rotor connected to the wheel and axle?