1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design of an automotive bumper

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have attached the assignment below. The weight of the car will be 3702lbs

2ird38.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure if I am on the right track, but so far I have calculated the kinetic energy as;

E=1/2 mv^2
    0.5 x (3702/32.2) x 7.33ft/s^2 = 3091.38 ft-lb

I have chosen to use a 6" crumple zone and 4 springs to absorb the impact.

This is where I run into trouble trying to get my head around the concept.

I know for the spring
    U=0.5*k*s^2

where;
    k = spring co-efficient
    s = spring displacement

Since I am trying to stop the car in 6" do I have to treat the kinetic energy as double? Then divide it over the 4 springs that I will be using to stop the car?

Thanks,
    Kyle
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2
    After 6" your 4 springs combined needs to absorb all the kinetic energy of the moving car.

In other words, each spring needs to absorb 1/4 of the kinetic energy.

Energy before = energy after
    E = U_1 + U_2 + U_3 + U_4 , and solve for k

4. Sep 22, 2010 #3
    Thank you SirAskAlot, I completed the calculations for the spring bumper using your assistance. Now I have to design a bumper using some type of foam. My professor provided me with a few graphs of the characteristics of foam (PSI vs deflection). I have decided to use a 65.5" wide by 6" tall bumper to represent the average midsized car. That works out to have a surface area of 393in^2

What I am struggling with is the fact that I will need to calculate deceleration, so I will need to know the force (I was planning on using a=F/m).

My initial thought was to take the kinetic energy (3091.3 ft-lb) and convert it to in-lb (37092 in-lb)

Then I went;
    37092 in-lb / 393 in^2 = 94.38 lb/in

Is it possible to spread the kinetic energy over the bumpers surface area like this? I still need the stopping force to calculate deceleration though.

Thank you in advance.

coz76.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook