Self-Contained Spring Powered Car - What Design?

In summary, the conversation focused on building a spring powered car for a local race. The speaker was looking for ideas on how to efficiently harness the energy of a spring, and shared some design concepts including a lever and linear gear. They also had questions about materials and the mathematics behind force and energy calculations.
Jragon
Hi There,

I'm in the preliminary stages of building a spring powered car to race over a distance of 10 metres. It is a yearly event held in my local area and so far we've only seen one spring powered car. I think this is because it may be difficult to design a way to harness the energy efficiently.

The previous years design was very simple: A tube with a spring inside attached to one end. The other end was attached to string which was wound around the axle thus stretching the spring ... you get the idea.

My question is what design could harness the power of a spring most efficiently?

Here are a few ideas I've come up with:

** please excuse my lack of paint skill **

Here is where you'll find the (non)technical drawings of the two below designs.

Design 1: A lever. From the picture you can see that there are two blocks which are attached on a pivot. On the other ends the spring is attached. The two blocks are then pulled away from each other. Then when the block is released the spring pulls tight which pulls the string around the axle , which in turn moves the car forward.

Design 2: This design uses a linear gear to drive the back axle. A rack and pin system pulls the rod with the teeth (not sure what the technical name is) back which makes the spring taught. It is then released, this drives the back axle. ** the problem with this is that once the propulsion stops so will the back axle as the gear will still be engaged.

This next idea unfortunately (or fortunately considering my paint skills!) doesn't have a picture to accompany it. For this my idea is to use a piston, like in a spring air rifle. However, the problem is that I've got no idea how to harness the power of the piston to create forward motion. Using a turbine doesn't seem like it would be the most effective way.

Another important question: What sort of materials would be best to use with high power springs? And on that note, what sort of springs are best to use? At the moment I am thinking a trampoline spring may be powerful enough.

I am also very interested in the maths behind what's going on. I'm taking A-level further maths and physics and would like to have an understanding of what forces are going on. How would I be able to calculate the the amount of force generated by a given design (provided I knew the spring constant of my spring)? And then from that how would I be able to calculate the kinetic energy transferred from the elastic potential?

Any and all feedback and support is much appreciated!

Yours,

-Jragon

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps work out how much energy you might need to store. The more energy you can store and release the better. The problem is that short springs imply higher forces than long ones for the same energy. So I would think about how long/short the spring must be and if you can build a car/mechanism strong enough to handle the forces involved.

1. How does a self-contained spring powered car work?

A self-contained spring powered car works by storing energy in a spring through compression. When the car is released, the stored energy in the spring is released, propelling the car forward.

2. What is the advantage of using a self-contained spring powered car over other types of cars?

The advantage of using a self-contained spring powered car is that it does not require any external power source, such as gasoline or electricity, to operate. This makes it more environmentally friendly and cost-effective.

3. Are there any limitations to the design of a self-contained spring powered car?

Yes, there are limitations to the design of a self-contained spring powered car. The main limitation is the amount of energy that can be stored in the spring, which ultimately affects the distance the car can travel. The weight and size of the car also need to be taken into consideration in order to achieve a balance between energy storage and distance.

4. How long does it take to recharge the spring in a self-contained spring powered car?

The time it takes to recharge the spring in a self-contained spring powered car depends on the size and design of the spring, as well as the method used for compression. It can take anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes.

5. Can a self-contained spring powered car be used for long distance travel?

Due to the limitations mentioned earlier, a self-contained spring powered car is not suitable for long distance travel. However, with advancements in technology and design, it is possible that in the future, self-contained spring powered cars may be able to travel longer distances.