1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design ultimate bending moment one-way spanning slab

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the design ultimate sagging and hogging bending moments per metre width of slab.

Load on slab- Imposed 32 kN/m
    - Permanent 39 kN/m
    Length: 5m
    Depth: 8m
    Thickness: 0.175m

Not sure if relevant but it has 2 spans (i.e. two 5m lengths of slab) but it is a ONE-WAY SPAN.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Tried WL/8 but then realised that is just for the moment and not the design ultimate moment.

Thanks for your help.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The ultimate moment is the design load moment multiplied by code overload factors and strength factors applied for the dead and live load cases. I asume you can use beam tables for a beam on 3 supports to find the max positive moment between supports and the max negative moment at the middle support.

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    The language used in the question is reminiscent of eurocodes. You need to consider the different factors applied to permanent, dead and imposed loads, and then patterned loading in two diffrent load cases to get the moments you need. Do you know what I am talking about? When you say 'depth', do you mean 'width'? How do the loads given in kN/m transform into kN/m2 ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook