1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing a rectangular vacuum chamber -- Help please

1. Apr 27, 2017 #1
    Hello everyone! I want to design a rectangle vacuum chamber (12x12x72) out of 1/2 steel. I would be welding the sides together to form a seal. Would this work? any suggestions on what I could do? Thx! (I not great at this stuff so your help is much appreciated!)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What is the chamber for? What pressure will you be pumping it down to? Can you put in additional structural braces between the sides in the middle of the chamber? What experience do you have working with vacuum systems?

4. Apr 27, 2017 #3
    I am doing a project where I need the space in the middle of the chamber to be empty. I never made/ worked with a vacuum chamber myself, but I know the basics. I was hoping to go low, but I don't know how low I can go. I will be placing a mag lev system inside where I will be testing "The effect of air density on magnetic acceleration. Thx, please ask for any info you need, sorry for not giving it.

5. Apr 27, 2017 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Won't the potentially large effect of the massive steel chamber on the maglev system swamp any tiny effect from reducing air pressure ?

6. Apr 27, 2017 #5
    i will be using austenitic stainless steel

7. Apr 27, 2017 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That may ease the problem a little but not eliminate it .

You will find it useful to research vacuum chamber technology generally .

What about looking at large diameter round tubing as specifically made for vacuum chambers ? Choice of materials available includes metals , Glass and Acrylic .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted