Designing a shade sail. Help with load analysis.

In summary, the shade sail will experience a peak tension when two corners are attached to the support pole.
rieuk
I have to develop a mechanism with which to tension shade sails (its basically material tensioned between four posts to provide shade). I've got the mechanism going, but for the failure analysis, I need to calculate the peak tension in the shade sail. This is my information:

1. Largest shade sail is 8m x 8m. Heaviest sail material has density of 0.5 kg/m^2
2. During installation, one corner of the sail will be attached to its support pole, and the diagonal corner will be tensioned so that the whole sail is supported with a 250mm sag in the middle.

I just need the peak tension to find out what steel to use in my mechanism to withstand it. The mechanism essentially 'grabs' one end of the sail, and the post, and brings them together so that a shackle can be insterted.

I'm not sure if the teacher gave us fact 2 hinting that the peak tension the mechanism will experience is when only two corners are attached, and that we can use a rope simplification. Anyone who can suggest a good method of approximating the maximum load on the mechanism (peak tension) would receive a great many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
*chirp chirp* ... damn crickets.

To anyone who's interested, I approximated the sail to be a point mass on two strings and then calculated the tension in those strings. I asserted that this tension will be an over approximation to the actual tension because the angle of elevation of the tension force in the approximation model is lower than in actuality.

No haynewp, in case you did not notice, it is a SHADE SAIL (square shaped piece of fabric/whatever material used for sail) held up by two corners. It clearly can not be modeled as a uniform weight (it is a variable load as you go along the sail - quadratically if I remember correctly..or maybe linear). If I approximated it by this model, it would be hard to tell whether it was an over/under approximation.
In any case, I got 18/20 for this design assignment, so I'm pretty happy with that. No thanks to anyone here...

Last edited:
rieuk said:
No thanks to anyone here...

People will help if they can, no reason to be snobby about it. Good job on the project.

1. What factors should be considered when designing a shade sail?

When designing a shade sail, it is important to consider the location and orientation of the sail, the size and shape of the sail, the type of fabric or material used, and the expected wind and weather conditions.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size and shape for a shade sail?

The size and shape of a shade sail should be determined based on the desired coverage area, as well as the size and shape of the space where it will be installed. Factors such as obstructions, wind direction, and sun positioning should also be taken into consideration.

3. What is load analysis and why is it important in shade sail design?

Load analysis is the process of assessing the potential forces that a shade sail may experience, such as wind and snow. It is important in shade sail design because it helps determine the appropriate size and placement of the sail, as well as the type and strength of the supporting structures needed.

4. How do I conduct a load analysis for a shade sail?

Load analysis for a shade sail can be conducted using computer software or by consulting a structural engineer. Factors such as wind speed, direction, and pressure, as well as the weight of the sail and any potential snow accumulation, should be taken into account.

5. Can I install a shade sail on my own, or do I need professional help?

While it is possible to install a shade sail on your own, it is recommended to seek professional help for the design and installation process. A professional can ensure that the sail is properly designed and installed to withstand potential forces and provide long-lasting shade and protection.