Designing a Strong Book Stand Using Straws and Tape

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter keropi080
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Book
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
keropi080
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
I'm working on a little project here.

I'm supposed to build a bookstand made out of around 50 straws and tape. They're the only materials I'm allowed to use.It's supposed to be able to hold my hardbound physics book, which is 2.5kg, for more than a minute.

The higher the book is from the ground, the better.I've thought about just building a rectangular tower and placing the book at the top. They didn't really define what they mean by 'bookstand'.

Any other ideas or tips? :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How thin and long are the straws? Try to form some kind of truss, using small straw bundles.
 
The straws are around 10 inches, and flimsy. They're not the bendy kind, though.

That's what I was thinking from the start. Though I need another plan in case the tower thing doesn't work.
 
http://www.1888freeonlinegames.com/submitgames_play.php?id=2091

Have fun!
 
Last edited by a moderator: