Designing an Egg Mover: Brainstorming and Constraints

In summary, the conversation discusses a design project that involves picking up, moving, and placing an egg using a device. The constraints of the design are outlined, including not using electricity or biological assistants. Various ideas are suggested, such as using water pressure, a crane, or a mechanical solution. One team presents a design involving a pulley system and a cotton wall to cushion the egg's impact. The conversation also includes discussions about potential problems and improvements for the design.
jegues
Egg Mover - Design ideas!?

We've been assigned a design project and I'm just looking for some thoughts, comments, opinions and ideas. I'd like to get few different perspectives on the design problem.

I've attached a picture that depicts what the system looks like.

Homework Statement

Design, build and demonstrate a device that will pick up, move and place an egg. To start the test, the egg will be placed on a spot 2.4m from a 2 by 6 that is on edge. Your device is to pick up the egg and move the egg over the 2 by 6 placing it (unbroken) on a spot 2.4m on the other side of the 2 by 6.

2. Contraints

1. Your device cannot be within 20mm of the egg at the beginning of the test

2. No trained pets or other biological assistants are allowed.

3. Nothing may be touching the 2 by 6. (You may have a ramp but it can't rest on the 2 by 6)

4. You can interact with your device only once to START the device and only ONE person can interact.

5. You may not use electricity, fire, smoke, or internal combustion engines.

6. The egg must pass over the 2 by 6, not around it.

7. Upon completion of the demonstration, the egg must be left on the target, free of any constraint that might prevent it from moving (nothing can be touching the egg or the target)

8. No part of your device can be within 20mm of the egg or target (bucket) at the end of the test.

Again, I'm not looking for ANSWERS, just ideas. Usually discussing these types of things with others offers a better perspective on things.

Attachments

• EggMover.JPG
    EggMover.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,017
Physics news on Phys.org

Cool problem. I'm thinking a power source of water pressure. A nice high tank of water. You can fill in the details :-p

I hope you will post a link in this thread where we can see all the devices that are created.

Crane.

Two liquids, one with a slightly higher density than egg, and one with a slightly lower one.

windup crane steered by punched tape

Power source for mechanical solution: stirling engine using the temperature difference between operator's body and ambient. The start constraint calls for some mechanical energy storage though.
Or go solar.

Unfortunately electricity is excluded, using a nearby commercial radio station as power source would be also cool.
Radioactivity is within the design constraints though.

Contain the egg in some impact resistant casing, shoot it to the target by pressurized air and remove casing. Simple:)

Provide the egg with appropriate environment, wait until it hatches, learns to fly, and attract it to the target with some food:)

Thanks for all the ideas guys! Meet with my team again today here's a rough sketch of what we came up with. (See figure attached).

A simply 2 pulley system which receives its power by dropping a weight to start the system.

The pulley winds the string which is attached to a spoon and passes the egg over the wooden wall.

Once the egg has passed over the wall, it rolls down another (not too steep) track and cushions its impact against a cotton wall.

This cotton wall has a floor which is at a different slope than that transport ramp and will slowly slide the egg onto the target position located in the center of the inverse bucket.

What do you guys think? Any design critiques/improvement/suggestions/comments? Can anyone see any "potential problem" areas in our design? Are their any ways we can make it even simplier/better/easier to build?

EDIT: The one design problem that comes to mind for me personally, is how exactly are we going to keep the pulley elevated above the wall?

Thanks again guys!

Attachments

• EggMoverDesign.JPG
    EggMoverDesign.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,460

That seems like a fairly effective design.

However you run the risk of it falling off the track unless it has some boundaries that weren't in the picture. Plus, you need to keep the scoop a full 2 cm off of the egg at the start, so you need a scoop that can not only reliably pick up the egg, but also release it at the top.

The pick up is simple enough, and making a scoop is simple enough. What I see being tricky there is the release. You need to find a way to both stop the scoop and tip it over.

The speed of the egg in different intervals of the track should be carefully designed.
The release mechanism could be something which is pushed down by the egg's mass, but goes up when it is rolled away.

magwas said:
The speed of the egg in different intervals of the track should be carefully designed.
The release mechanism could be something which is pushed down by the egg's mass, but goes up when it is rolled away.

How do you mean pushed down?

Lancelot59 said:
How do you mean pushed down?

For example it is suspended from springs. When the egg on that part, its mass makes the part to move down to the ground, but when the egg leaves it, it will be pulled up by the springs.

Thanks for the comments!

The release mechanism is something we'll have to figure out, magwas ideas seem to hard to actually implement. I'm sure there's a simplier way.

Since your scoop will likely be a curved shape, have a string attached to the front of the scoop and tie it off to the ground or something. When it gets to the top the string goes taut, and scoop tilts forward releasing the egg.

Whatever you do go for as many support points as you can reasonably do. I made the mistake of only putting two on my trebuchet sling and it cost us that challenge.

Last edited:

Related to Designing an Egg Mover: Brainstorming and Constraints

1. How does the Egg Mover work?

The Egg Mover works by using a mechanism to gently lift and move eggs from one location to another without causing any damage. This is achieved through careful design and precision engineering.

2. Is the Egg Mover safe for the eggs?

Yes, the Egg Mover is designed to be safe for the eggs. It uses a gentle lifting mechanism and does not involve any sudden movements or impacts that could harm the eggs.

3. Can the Egg Mover be used for different sizes of eggs?

Yes, the Egg Mover can be designed to handle different sizes of eggs. The mechanism can be adjusted to accommodate different sizes without compromising its functionality.

4. What materials are used to make the Egg Mover?

The materials used to make the Egg Mover may vary depending on the design, but typically it will include some type of metal for the frame and moving parts, as well as rubber or silicone for the gentle gripping mechanism.

5. Can the Egg Mover be used for other delicate items?

While the Egg Mover is primarily designed for handling eggs, it can potentially be used for other delicate items such as fruits or small fragile objects. However, it may need to be modified or adjusted for different items depending on their size and weight.